After: Chapter 5- Too Early To Celebrate Yet

It was about an hour later when the four of them had returned to the warehouse. After the battle, the remaining Dandies had either been killed by the likes of Joe, Patrick and Andy, or had fled in fear for their lives. Patrick, Pete, Andy and Joe had all made it back alive, despite some of the injuries they had sustained.

And as for William, he was now dead.

William was dead. He was gone. And yet, it hadn’t really sunk into Pete the truth of it all.

The cheers of triumph from Andy and Joe came from the other room; once the four of them had gotten back to the warehouse, Joe and Andy had insisted on ‘celebrating’ their victory, but Pete had been in no mood to and had shut himself in one of the bedrooms, staying in there by himself for the best past half an hour, not saying a word to either of the three hunters. Every so often, Pete would use his vampire hearing skills to listen in on the boy’s celebration cheers, and sometimes keeping to himself in his own thoughts.
He’s dead. William is dead. Pete knew he should be glad that he was dead, but in some strange way, he wasn’t. For the past couple of weeks, he’s been so focused on killing William and getting revenge that he never really thought about what would happen if he succeeded. Now what was he supposed to do? He was still a vampire, nothing had changed about that. Am I supposed to just sit here and do nothing forever? And what about Joe, Andy and Patrick? Do you really think that they’re going to let you stay now all of this is over?

William was dead. But that didn’t mean things were a whole lot better for Pete either.
Is there really nothing left for me now?

Pete became so lost in his own thought, he didn’t even realise Joe had entered the room.

“What are you still doing in here?”

Despite his vampire reflexes, Pete was still startled as he was snapped out of his own mind and back into reality. He turned to look at Joe: he looked like himself and was now dressed in other clothes so he was no longer covered in blood, but Joe’s curly brown hair was still a tangled mess, and he had purplish bruises blossoming on his knuckles and jaw, as well as a cut across his forehead- those were the only visible injuries he had received but who knew how many more he had that were hidden underneath his clothes.

Most of Pete’s injuries had healed up by now, but that didn’t stop his muscles from aching and his head was still dizzy and weak from blood loss; his fangs ached with hunger and he knew he needed blood to replace what he had lost, but even now, he still refused to feed of someone. He had drunk some of the concoction Patrick had made to keep the thirst at bay, but it didn’t help that much.

Pete focused his attention back on Joe, who was standing by the doorway, his eyebrows raised as if waiting for an answer.

Pete replied truthfully. “I just wanted to be alone.”

Apparently, that answer wasn’t good enough for Joe. “Don’t you want to come out and celebrate with us?”

Pete shook his head, dark hair falling over his face.

Again, Joe insisted, much to Pete’s annoyance. “Come on Pete! William’s dead and most of the Dandies are too. Aren’t you happy about this?”
I am. Pete was about to reply, but he got a sudden flashback to William’s words to him: ‘I didn’t turn you into a vampire! That was someone else! I was just following orders!’ Pete knew it was all lies, and yet, the words will still nagging at him and making him feel uncomfortable inside.

“I am.” He said, but the words felt forced out of him.

Pete half expected Joe to leave it at that, but once again, he was wrong as he came down and sat next to him on the bed. “You don’t seem like it. You’re shutting yourself in here when you could be in the other room with us having fun. Are you sure everything is ok?”