chapter twenty-seven

Vote and comment for a chance to have the next chapter dedicated towards you!

Enjoy!

-

When I was younger, I imagined getting ready for prom in the most extravagant way. One person curling my hair and another applying my makeup. Friends all around me. Perfect manicures, a tight dress, and diamond studded shoes. I imagined my mom would be there taking photos. But today at 4pm I stood alone. My best friend outside my bathroom door as I wriggled into my red dress. 

Simplicity is what I lived by. A key hole back and a thin, gold jeweled dress belt were my statement pieces for tonight. My hair was pulled in a low loose bun. Wavy strands framed my face and my ears were decorated with my signature gold studs. 

I stared in the mirror as I awkwardly moved my hands up my back to try to zip my dress. I stepped on the hem, tugging it down and nearly tripping. The hot bathroom didn't make this task any easier. 

In frustration, I swiftly opened the bathroom door. The cool breeze lowered my temperature and stopped the subtle shine on my forehead from worsening. 

Ashton popped his head in, locking eyes with me in the mirror.

"Do you mind zipping me up?" I asked. 

"Not at all," he quietly responded. He looked down as he stepped into my bathroom, careful not to trip over my shoes. 

Ashton stood tall behind me, dressed in black dress pants and a white long sleeve shirt, buttoned down to expose his chest like normal. His gold necklaces glimmered underneath my bright white bulbs illuminating us. 

He zipped me up slowly and carefully. I bit on my bottom lip as he treated my dress like a fragile heirloom. He lowered his head and placed a soft kiss on my shoulder. He peered up, meeting my stoic appearance. 

Seeing him again after what happened was weird at first. It was uncomfortable, awkward, and I didn't like that between us. It only took us a few minutes and a short conversation for things to feel more normal. Luke's name wasn't mentioned in the conversation. 

I didn't want to give him a reaction. If there's no reaction, then there's no meaning to it. Like it never happened. And that's just what I wanted.

I sighed, looking at my cluttered counter. He clipped my open key hole back and straightened it for me. After taking a step back from me he leaned against the doorway.

"You look great," he softly told me. I smiled, meeting his eyes once in the mirror before reaching out and picking up my phone.

"Thank you," I responded. Luke had just texted me he was a few minutes away.

I turned around to face him and he crossed his arms. The rings on his fingers that were wrapped around his bicep matched his necklace. I remembered how they got caught in my hair and cooled my heated skin that night. 

"Do you want to ride with us?" I asked, trying to find my balance as I struggled to put on my strappy heels. 

Ashton grabbed ahold of my hand to steady me. He shook his head as he watched me fumble with the buckle, "No, I'm going to pick up Cal and we'll see you there."

I sighed, "Okay." I sturdied myself as I stood up straight, now being a few inches taller. A foot of space separated us.

"Still coming to Michael's?" Ashton asked. I still had to look up to talk to him, even in my heels. 

"Of course." I smiled, pulling down the bumps in my dress. 

Our heads turned at the sound of knocking on my front door. My heart raced and my smile grew while Ashton's fell. He kept his distance behind me as I made my way down my stairs and to the front door. In the moment it felt like both of my world's colliding. Both so uncertain and confusing, but in the moment I felt content.