chapter ten

I was currently buried in school work, trying to cram in information for the three tests I had tomorrow. I had just gotten home and rushed to my room to get rid of any possible distractions, which failed once my my phone started a ringing to tell me that I was getting a call from Luke.

"Hello?" I answered, barely getting the last vowel out before he started to speak.

"Andy Emerson, did you hear about the guy who had his whole left side was cut off?" he quickly asked.

"What?" I said, unsure of what he was talking about. I set my pencil down and pushed myself back from my desk.

"Oh my God, stop." Michael's voice was heard over the line after Luke spoke and he didn't sound too pleased. I giggled as Luke proceeded to tell him to shut up as he laughed as well.

"Yeah, he's all right now." Luke said, a groan then coming from Michael. The joke had hit me and I shook my head as Michael was now on the other line instead of Luke.

"I'm sorry, Luke's trying to be funny." Michael apologized. Fumbling was heard over the speaker and I raised my eyebrow, guessing that Luke had taken his phone back.

"You're going to hell." I chuckled, referring to his terrible joke that was actually funny, but he wouldn't be hearing that from me.

He laughed, "I know."

"So what'd you call for?" I questioned, leaning back into my chair.

"That joke I just told you!" He said, as if I was supposed to know that this was his actual reason.

"Are you serious? I dropped my studying for you." I joked.

"Well pick it back up and come over." Luke told me.

"I have three tests tomorrow." I groaned.

"Bring it with you, I need help with math anyways."

"What about my other two classes?" I asked, either way I knew I wasn't going to get much done. It just depended if I wanted to be with Michael and Luke or just by myself.

"I can help you with those," he said. I tapped on my chin, debating on whether I was actually going to let Luke convince me.

"I'll be over in twenty." I told him, standing up and stretching my arms over my head.

"Hurry, we have important things to do, Andy Emerson." He seemed eager with his tone, it was obvious that Michael was more than likely not entertaining him. Luke was practically a tall child anyways.

"Stop using my full name, you're going to wear yourself out." I told him, a half smile pulling at my lips.

"Whatever," He let out an over exaggerated sigh. "See you in twenty."

We said our goodbyes and tossed my phone on my bed. I ran my hand through my hair as I let out out a sigh. I shook my head as I collected my papers and books back together, neatly putting them back into my backpack.

I hauled it over my shoulder, exiting my room and walking towards my front door. I grabbed my keys off the hooks hanging by my door and I turned over my shoulder to face the open space of my empty house. I was so used to having my dad away that it seemed like I was the only one that lived here. It was something I grew used to, but not something I was exactly happy with.

I shook it off and headed towards my car, tossing my bag full of school work into my back seat. Usually, it would've taken me around ten minutes to get to Luke's house since he did live pretty close, but I couldn't ignore my stomach that was growling at me. I drove through to get fries and a slushie, picking one up for Luke and Michael as well since I knew they would drink all of mine before I was at his house for ten minutes.