Chapter 34

I stared at my two remaining brothers. How could something like this have happened?! Ron was missing and Professor Dumbledore was only giving us vague answers to our questions. This was taking ages and we didn't have that kind of time. 

I sighed in exasperation and started to walk out of the room hearing the boys also get up from their chairs to follow. 

"Ms. Potter." The tone wasnt demanding or angry but commanding in the way very few people can be. Naturally I turned, "Please have a seat, there is something else you should know." 

Cautiously I went and sat back down, worried he was going to make us go home like he had been trying to get us to do this whole time. When he spoke again, what he said surprised me. 

"As you know Hogwarts had four founders." Dumbledore started.

"Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Hufflepuff, and Salazar Slytherin." George stated matter-of-factly. 

Fred and I turned to look at our brother, "Look who has been spending too much time around Hermione." Fred laughed and I covered a giggle. 

"Correct. Dumbledore continued ignoring our interruption "Each house is based on what the founders thought were the most prized traits in a person. The founders built this school with the idea that witches and wizards could come and learn how to wield magic in the outside world safely. There was one thing the founders disagreed upon, however. Muggleborns. Salazar Slytherin was a proud pure blood, prouder than the other three at the fact that he was of pure magical blood. He did not want muggleborns, or mudbloods, tarnishing his school. Of course when the founders decided it was a three to one vote. Muggle born children were to be let into the school."

"I'm not sure how this is going to help find Ron..." I trail off, fascinated by the history but eager to find my younger brother.

"All in due time Ms. Potter." Dumbledore assured me. "Salazar did not like the fact that he had lost the vote. It is rumored that he built a secret chamber in the castle to hide a weapon to be used against muggleborn children.  It is also rumored only an heir of Slytherin can control such a weapon. He hoped that one day, one of his heirs would come along and continue on his legacy and cleanse his school." 

The boys and I sat in silence for a few minutes, taking in all of this new information. Finally Fred spoke up, "But sir, we aren't related to Slytherin." He stated, obviously confused. 

"Indeed, that does not mean he wasnt helping someone he didnt know the power of." Dumbledore stated. 

I shot up and rushed out of the room, suddenly remembering the journal Ron had been carrying around for the past week or so. Ron never writes, he doesnt even do his own homework! I dont know why it had never struck me as odd before. 

Fred and George caught up to me in the common room where I was pacing waiting for them. I told them about the journal and they both went into the boy's dorms to look for it. What they brought back was what I had pictured except, it was completely blank. There was an inscription on the bottom: "Tom Riddle". 

"Who on earth is Tom Riddle?" George asked, obviously annoyed there was no clue to finding Ron yet. 

"Arent you supposed to be the history buff?" I asked with a smirk. I took the journal and started doodling in it. The ink disappeared after a moment or two. I quickly wrote down "Hello, My name is Haylie Potter." Which disappeared just as quickly.

Hello Haylie, My name is Tom Riddle. appeared on the page just below where I had written my name. 

"Do you know my brother Ron Weasley?" I asked, getting right to the point. 

Yes. the journal answered.

"Can you help me find him?" I asked.

Perhaps.

"Please, it would mean the world to me." I wrote down. I looked up at the two boys across the room in a heated discussion about how best to find our brother. 

Ask Myrtle how she died.  

"What does a ghost have to do with finding my brother?" I asked desperately.

No answer.

"Hello? Tom?" I tried again. 

Again, no answer. 

Exasperated I closed the journal. I quickly strode across the room to the door, I didnt bother to see if my brothers were coming. My sudden exit would entice them to follow me. I quickly made my way to the bathroom where Moaning Myrtle haunts. I stepped in and the boys called after me. I turned my head and indicated for them to follow, hesitantly they did. 

"Myrtle?" I asked in a quiet voice. 

The ghost screamed and dove towards us, stopping inches away from me. "What do you want? Come to make fun of me like everyone does?" She shrieked the last part. 

"No, I would like to know how you died." I said as sincerely as I could. My brothers gave me a look like I was insane but didnt dare say anything.

Myrtle looked shocked for a half a second then gave me a smile. "Well, you see, I had run up here to cry after being teased about my glasses." She did indeed have extremely large, round glasses worthy of cracking a joke about if I had had the time. "I heard a noise and opened my stall door to tell whoever it was to 'Go Away!' Then, I died." 

"Just like that?" I asked, confused.

She nodded "All I remember were a pair of big yellow eyes. Over there." She pointed to the sinks "By that sink." 

I walked closer to the sinks, approaching the one she had indicated. I tried to turn it on but nothing happened. I looked at it closer and realized there was a small snake on it that wasnt on any of the others.  "This is it." I said "This has to be the entrance to that chamber Professor Dumbledore was talking about!" I looked back at my brothers who were exchanging looks of shock. "How do we open it though?!" I asked getting frustrated. 

"Try talking to the snake." Myrtle piped up "Thats what the other one did." 

"Other one?" All three of us asked in unison.

She nodded "The one who looks like you" She indicated my twins. 

"Ron." I said instantly. "Ok here goes nothing." I remembered how I had had a conversation with a snake in the garden once when I was a kid and my brothers had all looked at me like I was crazy. I never did it again after that. "Abna" 

The sink slid away revealing a hidden slide like tunnel down below the castle. I turned and looked at my brothers. "Here goes nothing." I said as I stepped into the empty space. I heard my brothers shout my name frantically as I did so. I then heard them following behind me. 'Time to find Ron' I thought as I continued to fall down the chute that lead to Merlin knows where.