Chapter 23

Nichole hadn't moved the past three days. Not a twitch, a scream, anything. The only indicator she was alive was the faint heart beat getting slower by the day. Emmett hadn't left her side since Alice had changed her clothes when they got back.

"Emmett you need to hunt." Carlisle laid a soft hand on his shoulder.

"I will when she does." Emmett's voice was hard, confirming. Carlisle sighed but nodded anyways. "When will she wake up?" Emmett whispered. His voice shifted from hard and detached to vulnerable and weak.

"She should wake up anytime. I don't understand how such a little body can take so long." Carlisle mused thoughtfully.

"is it going to work? Did I do it wrong?" Emmett sat forward in his chair restraining himself from touching Nichole. She had somehow found peace during the change and Emmett did not want ro ruin that. His transformation had not been as pleasant as hers seemed to be.

"Oh it's working. You did an excellent job, she was near death which means the venom has a little more work to do. Not to mention any internal damage she could of sustained the past eight years with Charlie." Carlisle snuck a side way glance at Emmett who was gazing at Nichole lovingly. Turning to leave he paused wanting to say something else but couldn't find the word. Shaking his head Carlisle quietly left the room.

In the early hours of the morning everyone was quiet. Jasper and Alice in their room; Carlisle in his study; and Rose, Edward, and Esme watching reruns of television shows that aired this early. That left Emmett who was watching over Nichole, who's heart beat finally stopped. Emmett waited for her to open her eyes, knowing it had to be any minute now. But instead of opening her eyes, Nichole's body flickered. Like her body was a light being switched on and off. On, there; off, gone.

Emmett let out a strangled yelp scooting back in his chair. "What the fuck!" Nichole continued to disappear and reappear in the same spot every time.

The rest in the Cullens poured into the room stopping in shock at what they saw. Then the flickering stopped, the exact moment her eyes flew open. The stared up at the ceiling in wonder, like it was the most interesting thing in the world. Her eyes started to roam the room landing on the Cullens who were still gaping at her.

"Nichole?" Emmett was the first to click back into reality.

"No, it's Santa Claus." She made a face at Emmett. It wasn't an angry face but a face of mockery often seen on a boys face teasing his friends.

"Well at least we know her sarcasm is intact." Edward grinned.

"How are you feeling?" Carlisle asked.

In truth she didn't know how she felt. Wonderful? No that painted the wrong picture in someone's mind. She felt far from wonderful. Powerful? No, she felt exceptionally weak. Her throat burned like she had walked through mountains of snow, then slept with her feet outside of the blankets all night. In fact the burning sensation in the back of her throat grew more as she thought of it, intensifying each second.

"She's thirsty." Jasper smirked.

"I know what you're trying to insinuate and frankly I don't appreciate it." Nichole glared at Jasper.

"What he meant was you need to feed." Emmett said gently.

"We can talk more when you get back. I have some questions but they can wait." Carlisle smiled. Everyone backed out of the room one by one not taking their eyes off Nichole like she would disappear again. It was quite unnerving to Nichole, having so many people watch you so intently. Emmett took Nichole's hand leading her to the window where they would exit.

"Jump." Emmett encouraged. "You'll be fine." Nichole looked at him uncertainly but Emmett just nodded. Nichole jumped out the window but went much farther than she had intended to. Waiting for Emmett to catch up for her Nichole gazed out into the forest, catching every detail of every leaf.

"It's beautiful isn't it?" Emmett said looking down at Nichole who was fixated on the details of the forest in front of her.

"Very." She breathed. Although the forest isn't quite what Emmett meant Nichole didn't seem to notice.

"C'mon. Let's find you something to eat." Emmett grinned, glancing at Nichole before taking off into the trees. Nichole scowled before racing to catch up to Emmett who was already so far ahead.

~

"Nichole do you know of what you did while changing?" Carlisle asked Nichole who was sitting across from him.

"No? Did I do something?" Nichole worried.

"Well. During the last final minutes of your change you disappeared and reappeared on the table where you were laying. But you never moved."

"What are you saying?"

"Well I believe you have some sort of power. I just don't know it yet."

"Could it be teleportation? If she kept disappearing?" Emmett asked suddenly.

"But she never moved from the place she was laying." Rosalie argued.

"I think that a power a vampire has is something that lies in with their human lives. Like an ability they were strong at or something significant." Carlisle pondered.

"What were you good at Nichole?" Edward leaned forward. Out of all the children he and Nichole were the least close.

"She was good at sneaking up on us." Jasper pointed out. Everyone looked at Nichole expectantly like she had the answer. Jasper could feel her uncomfortableness and sympathized. She could feel the eyes waiting for her response but she didn't know it. She began to stutter out an answer but she couldn't help but wish she wasn't here at this moment.

She didn't want to be looked at by the watchful, waiting eyes for her new family. She wished she could disappear. And that's exactly what she did, by accident of course. Her body just disappeared before the Cullens eyes.

"NICHOLE!" Emmett boomed springing to his feet looking around. The room erupted into chaos in an instant. Nichole's name being yelled, vampires running out the room.

"What?" She confusedly asked. The room went still as she came back into view right were she had been sitting.

"Where did you go?" Alice asked.

"Nowhere." Nichole shrugged still utterly confused.

"This is incredible. I've never hears of a vampire who can turn invisible. The ultimate shield really." Carlisle gazed at Nichole.

"What do you mean?" Emmett asked sitting back down.

"Well think of it this way. She isn't really real. Well she is but isn't. She doesn't exist because she's invisible to the world, like she can't be tracked and located. It's hard to explain really. Like if you had a pushpin on the world map of every vampire and where they are she wouldn't be on it."

"Is it because I spent so long of my life trying to not be seen then?"

"It's quite possible."

"That's why Jane's power went through me? I don't actually exist?" Nichole didn't know what to feel. Angry? Sad? Happy? She just didn't know.

"You exist but you're more really not solid. I can't explain why you are the way you are. You can't walk through walls or anything but you aren't on the map of vampires if that makes sense."