Chapter 13

Tanya left shortly after our conversation ended, saying she had business to take care of else where. When she was gone the Cullens burst into laughter around me.

"She had some pretty strong opinions about you." Edward laughed.

"She was so angry and offended." Jasper chuckled.

"The look on her face was priceless!!" Rose giggled.

"That wasn't very nice Nichole." Esme shook her head.

"But now she knows who shes dealing with." Edward pointed out.

"I don't know what she'll do. I can't see Nichole's future at all. She completely flies under my radar." Alice fumed.

"Eddie boy can't read her either." Emmett shrugged.

"I told you not to call me that!" Edward hissed.

"I was perfectly fine with hiding at Nichole's house until Tanya left. But nooooooo. You just had to tell Tanya didn't you." Emmett hissed back.

While they bickered about god knows what Carlisle gave me more pain killers for my back instructing me to take them once a day until my back no longer hurts. Eventually the living room cleared out leaving Emmett and I alone. I fell asleep on him once again, praying Jasper didn't wake me up again.

~

The next few days at school were short. I convinced my fashion teacher to let me skip that class since I had finished the work already. Saying I was going to use the period to study for other classes, right. So before lunch I walk to school declining a ride from Alice.

My other teachers heard about my history situation but didn't offer the same deal. I didn't really care I guess, I could take the finals when everyone else did.

I was eating the lunch Esme had made me and sent with Alice. Everyday I would be given food from Esme. I was slowly filling out, which drove me crazy. My hips got wider, legs got bigger. You could no longer see my ribs or spine which was good. I told Alice and Rose about it and they reassured me I looked better than before. But I was still skeptical. I loved the feeling of not being hungry but I felt weird in my own skin.

"So while you were pretending to be human, why did you eat food around me?" I asked suddenly curious.

"We didn't want you to feel weird by being the only one to be eating. And it would have been weird if we didn't eat." Emmett shrugged. "It was a mutual agreement."

"We acted human around you to make you feel more comfortable." Alice said.

"Thank you." I said a little heat creeping up my neck. I thought about the times I spent with the Cullens acting human. Edward pretending to want the cookies from us, the breakfast, the candy Emmett ate on the first date. Emmett pretending to sleep. I suddenly realized that Emmett wasn't asleep at all when he cuddled me on the couch the first night. He did it on purpose.

"These losers are going hunting so it looks like you're stuck with me tonight." Jasper said grinning.

"More books?" I teased.

"It better have a better ending than the last one."

"Don't worry. You'll love it." I grinned. TFIOS was not a happy ending story.

"What's it called?"

"The Fault In Our Stars." I said casually.

"Sounds cool." Jasper grinned.

"You too are the nerdiest people." Emmett grumbled. I slapped his chest rolling my eyes. Emmett caught my hand and kissed it grinning. I rolled my eyes again leaning into his side.

Jasper and I walked home after school talking about random things like pickles and the significance of books. Like how even thought people read the same thing they imagine the characters differently and picture different settings and interpret messages differently. And how weird pickles are.

"YOU SAID THIS HAD A GOOD ENDING." Jasper screeched throwing the book across the room. "HE DIED TOO. AND THE ENDING. 'I DO AUGUSTUS, I DO.' WAS THAT SUPPOSE TO HE A KNIFE IN THE HEART TOO?!"

I laughed at his response. It gets better and better each time. "She dies too eventually. She has terminal cancer. It doesn't say it but she will die too." His face fell as he picked up another book. I sighed at his choice knowing this wasn't going to be a good outcome either. I shook my head going back to my homework from my week missed.

"Why do you read sad books?" Jasper said slamming another down. "Where are the happy books?"

"Fine. Fine. Read the black one. That will make you happy. The girl is an assassin." I said rolling my eyes.

I heard Charlie slam the door downstairs Jasper scowling before relaxing again. I heard cluttering of pots and pans in the kitchen. A loud string of curses came from the kitchen after a crash.

Jasper's head snapped up as he looked at me. He got up without a word, jumping out the window in a flash. I put my notebook down listening for any movement. I can hear Charlie moving around in the bathroom and packets ripping open.

My door slammed open, Charlie stood with a bandage wrapped around his hand. He must have cut it. Jasper left because he smelt blood. Charlie looked down at me, his eyes menacing and full of hate.

He took my by the hair pushing me to the ground. Punches and kicks were delivered to my face and torso. He was wearing boots which made the pain worse. I groaned in pain when his boot came in contact with my ribs. He hauled me to my feet, punch me hard in the jaw. Toppling over I landed hard on my side. A snap drowned out by the thud of my body hitting the floor. Another kick came to my ribs, this time the top of Charlie's foot coming in contact with my skin. I

The energy from the kick rolled me over, exposing my back.

I heard Charlie's belt slide put of place and tried to loft my arm to drag myself away. But the blow came before I could. For the first time tonight I let out a blood curtailing scream praying one of the neighbors heard. I felt my back reopen, the scabs being ripped away with the belt. The crack when the belt hit my skin echoed in my ears.

The last thing I heard was that crack, the last thing in my mind was Emmett and wishing my life would end. The pain would go away. Blackness creeped in the edges of my vision before closing in and engulfing me into nothingness.

Maybe if my heart stops beating it won't hurt this much.