Chapter 2

The final bell rung signaling for most the end of the days torture but to me, it signals a certain hell awaiting to be faced later in the night. To add to the despair of the end of the school day, it was raining.

My entire walk home, I had the sickening feeling someone was watching me, analyzing my every moment. The gravel crunched under my feet mixing with the noise of pounding rain. I begin to think about the little tribe of siblings I met today. As a whole they were a little odd, but as individuals they were nice enough. Alice was a little overwhelming and the others freaked me out. Tomorrow I'll keep my distance, they aren't from here so they won't stay long. Forks has nothing to offer, so people who move in without a good reason don't last more than a few months. I wonder what secrets they're hiding.

"Where the hell have you been you skank?" was the first thing I heard walking through the door from my oh so lovely father.

"At school." I mumbled back. Suddenly my shoes became the most interesting thing in the world to me.

"What was that?"

"I was at school."

"Why do you even bother going to school. You're fucking stupid. You're never gunna fucking graduate you piece of shit. I bet your teachers pass you because they feel bad for you because you're fucking retarded. You're a waste of damn space."

I start to space out what he's saying to me now; turning the yelling into a faint buzz in the background. I'm brought back to reality to glass shattering behind me. I try ducking down but slip landing on the floor. Another bottle was thrown at me but misses again, instead shattering against the wall above me.

~

I stumbled back into my room wincing in slight pain. The glass cut my legs and arms a bit but the real pain was the bruises I could feel forming. I sighed changing into my sweat pants and sweat shirt, wanting nothing more than to fall asleep forever. I pull out my English paper on Romeo and Juliet, I've read this book at least a hundred times. I've always wanted to travel down to Oregon for the Shakespeare festival. I keep a world map in my room I drew with pushpins marking where I've always wanted to see. Also a list next to it of things I've always wanted to do; the festival being near the top. Romeo shows his love for Juliet not by killing himself out of love and grief but because this was a rash decision. This was not the only rash decision he has made, therefore making a reoccurring theme of love leads to many unstable rash choices. This English assignment is a bunch of bullshit, I mean why not mix it up and read Macbeth or Twelfth Night instead? It would make a hell if a lot better paper than over analyzing Romeo and Juliet every year. But what do I know, right? My opinion doesn't matter, I mean I'm just a nobody that happens to remember everything they read. I'm just a loser who sits in the background who's never noticed.

Sometime around midnight I hear Charlie go to bed for the night. I've come accustomed to this, waiting until he goes to bed, sneaking downstairs to refill my water bottles. One, two, three, four, skip the next three steps, six, seven, jump. I've mastered the which steps to step on years ago. Every nook and cranny has been etched into my brain, every squeaky floor board been mapped into my subconscious. I mastered the art of echo location, something every useful during the winter when it gets exceptionally dark.

The slow trickle coming from the faucet was inaudible, I'm not risking being caught down here at all; it would be certain death. I hear creaks from upstairs, disturbing the silence. It sounds like someone is walking down the stairs trying to be as quiet as possible,  obviously not knowing which steps to skip. I cap my bottles, grabbing the handles, I hide in a crevice between the kitchen and stairs. You would have to be leaving the kitchen to see in the small space I'm hiding.