Chapter 18

I woke up leaning against a stone pillar in a cold room on a cold floor. My hands are tied behind me with what feels like rope. I'm slumped over in a sitting position which is not a good position for my neck and back. I open my eyes sitting up straighter surveying the large room I'm prisoner in.

The stone room opened quickly into a bright, cavernous room, perfectly round like a huge castle turret. Two stories up, long window slits threw thin rectangles of bright sunlight onto the stone floor below. There were no artificial lights. The only furniture in the room were several massive wooden chairs, like thrones, that were spaced unevenly, flush with the curving stone walls. In the very center of the circle, in a slight depression, was another drain.

The room was not empty. A handful of people were convened in seemingly relaxed conversation. The murmur of low, smooth voices was a gentle hum in the air. As I watched, a pair of pale women in summer dresses paused in a patch of light, and, like prisms, their skin threw the light in rainbow sparkles against the sienna walls. Most of the immortals were dressed in inconspicuous pants and shirts-things that wouldn't stick out at all on the streets below. But the man who spoke first wore one of the long robes. It was pitch-black, and brushed against the floor. For a moment, I thought his long, jet-black hair was the hood of his cloak.

"Ahhh. Our guest is awake." He smiled widely. If I am a guest why am I tied up? I wanted to say but decided not to speak at all. I looked at the man who gracefully walked over to me with a blank, bored expression. I noted the two that brought me here in the corner of the room standing like statues. The man in front of me was chalky pale with dull red eyes.

"Ahh. How rude of me! I am Aro and my brothers are Marcus and Caius. We are the Voltori. We have brought you to Volterra Italy." His smile never wavered. My bored expression matched the vampire sitting on the throne.

"Demitri you said she could talk." The vampire with slick white hair sneered.

"She can! She cursed at us when we took her!" One of the men in the corner defended, the smaller one.

"Child, what is your name?" Aro asked again. I regarded him blankly then turning my head away from him looking to the left of myself.

"Bring in the other one." The white haired vampire demanded.

"Demitri, Felix come." Aro flitted to the center of the room with you stretched hands. I watched as he took the hands of the big one, Felix I assumed, first. Then taking Demitri's hands in his he smiled before sending them off.

"She can talk." Aro murmured. Aro walked, well more floated towards me. I watched him with uninterested eyes as he stopped before me kneeling down to eye level. " May I?" He held up his hand stopping before he touched my cheek. When I didn't answer he rested his hand on my cheek; Aro's face altering as I watched. The confidence wavered and became first doubt, then incredulity before he calmed it into a friendly mask. "So very interesting," he said as he released my hand and drifted back. I figured he was looking for something in my mind by touching me and I wondered what he saw.

"Tell us. What did you see brother?" The vampire with the bored expression asked dully as if it was a reflex to ask.

"Nothing. Nothing at all. All I saw was a blank void, nothing to be seen or heard." He looked curiously at me. Ha. Ha ha ha. Bitch.

Demitri and Felix walked back into the chamber with a strawberry blond woman trailing behind them. Tanya smirked at me smugly and getting another blank expression in return.

"Miss Denali is this the human you were telling us about?" Aro asked gliding over to Tanya.

"Yes Aro, this is the human they are housing. They told her our secret. She knows." Tanya hissed.

"Has she told you this?" Caius demanded.

"Well... no but she acted like she knew. She didn't react when I called her a human in front of her!" Tanya was slightly panicking now.

"So you have no evidence she actually knows? We brought a human here that could possibly not know?" Caius hissed.

"Aro! Please! Look into her thoughts! She knows I'm telling you!" Tanya pleaded.

"I saw nothing in her mind. I am locked out of her mind." Aro regarded Tanya coldly, nothing like he was a few minutes ago. Cauis waved him hand through the air casually. Felix and Dmitri sprang on Tanya ripping her body apart, throwing limbs into the fire at the end of the chamber. A thick smoke filled the room suffocating me with the sweet aroma of Tanya's burning body.

Once the smoke cleared I could hear low voices discussing what to do with me.

"The only evidence we have is her at the Cullen house, which isn't very incriminating." Marcus stated.

"She's seen to much already." Cauis growled.

~

Vampires have been walking in and out of chamber all day giving me curious looks. My stomach had been rumbling earlier but I chose to ignore it. If I can survive at Charlie's house for a week just surviving on water them I can do anything. The body can go weeks without food but only three days without water.

Felix came in with a grocery bag and sat next to me. He held a sandwich to my face waiting for me to bite it. The three vampires lazily perched on their thrones had gotten bored of my stomach wailing for food. Not acknowledging the sandwich, I stared straight ahead at the wall.

"It's just turkey. Eat it." Felix encouraged quietly. I turned my head away from the food closing my eyes. A short sigh escaped Fox's lips as he wrapped the sandwich back up and putting it back in the bag. He got up exiting the chamber slightly annoyed. A smirk ghosted my lips and I went back to staring at the wall.

I wiggled my hands around against the ropes trying to loosen them. I could feel the rope burning my wrists but I didn't care. I yanked one arm loose while the other hand fell out from the ropes. I held the ropes up behind my back hoping no one noticed me doing so.

An hour or so later Demitri rushed in the throne room looking panicked. Upon seeing me he relaxed and motioned Aro forward. Aro grabbed Demitri's hand greedily. Lowly speaking to his brothers about whatever he saw.

Demitri too tried to feed me the sandwich turning my head back to face the sandwich each time I turned it. I could tell he was losing his patience quickly which made it more amusing each time I turned my head. Having enough of our half an hour long game Demitri grabbed my chin to look at him his him. He ripped off a piece of the sandwich keeping it in one hand while the other pried my mouth open. Stuffing the piece of sandwich into my mouth he closed my mouth and let go of my head. I tuned my body as much as I could to face him, looking at him with withering hatred hoping he would burn up from my glare. I leaned in close to him, stopping until my face was three inches away from his smug one.

Turning my head down I opened my mouth pushing the unchewed sandwich bit out and onto his lap. Closing my mouth I looked up again at his horrified expression for a second before slowly retracting my body back into my normal position.

"I quit! I am done trying to make this human eat! I quit!" Dmitri shrieked storming out of the throne chamber. Snickers came from a few vampires across the room who had been watching our little game amused.

"Such a small human can cause such a big problem." A musical voice said next to me. I didn't bother to look who it was hearing the sandwich clutter being cleared away. I tightened my jaw trying to contain the 'fuck off' that I desperately wanted to snarl. "Doesn't like to be called little. Duly noted." The voice laughed.

There was yell sometime in the early morning of the next day. The doors burst open revealing a small girl, and when I say small I mean small. She was around my height if not a few inches shorter. Her tiny figure hidden behind a black robe but her eyes glowed dully and her hair was pulled into a tight knot.

Felix and Dmitri walked in last behind another pixie sized girl. But this one had black spiked hair and golden eyes. Alice. Next to her was a very, very angry Emmett.