Chapter 25

After my and Dakota's first date to the movies went so smoothly and amazing, I realized everything was going way too perfectly between us. The territory was so new--having a boyfriend who loved me that I had some pretty strong feelings for in return--it was all a mystery to me. Yet, everything seemed okay. Which was why I knew it wouldn't last.

It was also why I wasn't surprised when his dad walked in on us making out in his bedroom after lacrosse practice the Thursday after our Sunday night date.

Dakota shoved me away from him so hard that my elbow smacked off of the bedside table and instantly exploded in sharp pain. I didn't say anything, though, as Mr. Spicer stood there in the doorway fuming and glaring at me as though the action alone could kill me. I shrank away and looked down at my elbow to see it going red.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" Dakota said, jumping to his feet. I saw him step in front of me as if he could somehow shelter me from his father's unhappy gaze.

"You're grounded," was all Dakota's dad said.

"No, you can't do that!"

"I can and I will," he said, crossing his arms over his chest. The words and the action reminded me so much of Dakota that it was uncanny.

"It's not fair--"

"What's not fair is you bringing this boy over again and again thinking I'm stupid. I know what you're doing, Dakota."

"It's not that big of a deal!" Dakota argued. I could see his hands shaking and I wasn't sure if it was from anger or nerves.

"You deliberately disobeying an order is a big deal. So you're grounded until I say otherwise."

"Dad, stop. Nothing happened."

"And nothing will. Not in this house," Mr. Spicer snapped. I flinched at his words; if only he knew what already had happened in his house. He glanced around his son and fixed me with a cold stare. "You need to leave."

I swallowed as my heart pounded and I nodded, getting off of the bed. Dakota yelled out in protest, grabbing my arm to keep me from exiting the room, while his dad told him to be quiet. But the thing that had all of us falling into a brief and shocked silence was Dakota's mom casually walking passed the bedroom door and calling out, "Let his boyfriend stay, honey. You're always overreacting."

My eyes went wide as I glanced from person to person. Dakota was grinning triumphantly at his father who quickly turned around to follow after his wife. He looked furious as he went.

"What, are you crazy? He can't just disobey the rules with no consequences!" he yelled.

Mrs. Spicer sounded both bored and annoyed by her husband's words as she said, "He's always been gay, darling, get over it. If you didn't enforce ridiculous rules then he wouldn't be breaking them."

The sound of a door slamming shut cut off whatever response Dakota's dad was going to give. My boyfriend turned to me and I was looking at him with my jaw dropped open.

"Did that seriously just happen?"

Dakota smiled shyly. I could tell he was pleased, though. "My mom's the best."

"She sure as fuck is," I said, staring out into the empty hallway. I could hear muffled yelling from his parents' bedroom a few doors down. "Your dad is pissed, though."

"My mom can handle it. He's totally whipped."

I shook my head in disbelief. "This is insane."

"I told you my dad was always uptight about my friends because he was suspicious of them doing something with me. That's the first time my gayness has ever been confirmed for him, though. I'm not surprised he acted like a dick about it."