Chapter 14

"We're going out for dinner," my mom called through my closed bedroom door.

I pulled the covers off of my face and glanced around the dimly lit room. I groggily reached for my cell phone laying next to my pillow and checked the time. It was already six in the evening which meant I must have been sleeping all day. I hadn't even realized that the last few days had made me so tired, but clearly a dozen hours of hiking had taken a lot out of me.

"Harley," my mother snapped. "Did you hear me?"

"Yes," I grumbled loud enough for her to hear. "I was sleeping, jeez."

I rubbed my hand over my face and began flicking through my missed messages from the day. My door flew open and I barely glanced over to see my mom giving me her best combination of a glare and a look of disappointment.

"You shouldn't sleep so much, you'll make yourself sick. Now get up, your father and I are going out with friends for the night."

I pulled my phone away from my face and gave her an annoyed look. "If you're leaving, then why do I have to get up?"

She huffed and put her hands on her hips. "Because I'm your mother, and you do as your mother says." I rolled my eyes. "And you need to finish unpacking and clean up this room. It's a mess."

I picked my phone up again and checked my social sites. "It's my room, no one has to see it." I waved my hand dismissively and heard her huff yet again. "Besides, it's just a few duffel bags. No big deal."

"Your ass will be grounded for days if this room isn't clean by the time your father and I return tonight," she said in a scarily sweet voice before turning around and walking out.

I grumbled at the fact that she never shut my door, but what did I expect? I heard her obnoxious heels clicking along the floor as she went, and I sat up in bed.

Pulling open my messages app on my phone, I sent a quick text to Dakota, saying, You ready for round two?

It was mostly a joke, but at the same time I knew that if Dakota was up for more than just hanging out, I would be too. I ran a hand through my messy bed hair and made my way to my bathroom to piss. After I washed my hands, I grabbed my phone again off the bed and headed to the kitchen, looking for something to eat. My stomach rumbled loudly and I grumbled right back at it, because I was just in one of those moods after dealing with my mom.

I heard the garage door closing, announcing that my parents had just left. Walking up to the cupboard, I took out a bowl and set it on the counter before getting out a spoon and heading over to the pantry to get a box of cereal. As I headed to the fridge for the milk, my phone went off in the pocket of my sweats.

I took the device out at the same time as I grabbed the jug of milk from the shelf. Checking the caller on the screen, I saw it was Dakota, and let a smile spread across my lips. The fact that he had called me so quickly made me think that maybe he was eager to see me, and for some reason that caused those butterflies that were apparently now living inside my body to flutter their wings.

"Hey," I said as casually as I could.

There was a brief pause on the other end of the line as I fixed my bowl of cereal, then Dakota said, "Hi."

I smirked to myself, easily picturing how awkward the guy probably looked wherever he was right then. "What's up?"

"Uh, were you serious?"

I lifted my spoon up to my mouth and paused before taking a bite to say, "Serious with what?"

"You know, your text," Dakota said vaguely.