Chapter 12

The next morning we all got up early and headed to the bathrooms to get ready for the day ahead. Fortunately, the campground we were at had showers in the bathrooms because after last night with Dante, we both desperately needed to wash up.

Once everybody was all dressed and back at our site we gathered at the table to start breakfast. Dante's mom and the older two of his three sisters cooked while his dad and Daisy went over the trail maps. Dante and I worked on getting our lunches and hiking backpacks together.

After we ate and got everything cleaned up, we set off in the Suburban towards the same trail as the one Dante and I had checked out the night before as one big group. We took our time on the hike, making plenty of stops for selfies and Instagrams for the girls, and so we reached the end of the trail around noon, where we stopped to have lunch and rest before turning back.

A lot of the time, Dante's parents were at the front of our little pack, leading the way while the rest of us followed along. I mostly tried to stick with Dante, but frustratingly enough, that did nothing to deter Drea from randomly falling back into step with me all afternoon.

Before this trip, I had never really minded her incessant flirting, but apparently the longer I was around her at one time, the more relentless she became.

I summed it up to her wanting the status that came with dating me and not actually liking me for me. Because, let's be serious, she hardly knew a thing about me. If she did, she'd know that I liked dick and was way more into her brother than I could ever be into her.

Today, though, she was clearly on a mission to get me to notice her because she just wouldn't back off. It was beginning to get so annoying that I almost wanted to scream at her, but all I did was plaster on my default polite smile and awkwardly brush her off.

Then the first time Drea trailed her hand along my arm I thought Dante was going to slap her, but all he did was glare at her. Obviously, she pointedly ignored it and kept chattering on about things I didn't have a care in the world about.

Later in the afternoon, though, when we were finishing up the last of the trail we were on, she upped the ante. Our group of seven had ended up dispersing in two so that Dante's parents and youngest sisters were a good twenty feet ahead of Dante, Drea, and I.

And since the blonde, sixteen year old couldn't take a hint for the life of her, she sneakily slipped her hand into mine. When I had first felt her soft palm and delicate fingers touching mine, my eyes had gone wide and I immediately glanced at Dante but since he was a couple steps ahead of us he hadn't noticed.

Then I looked down at Drea and all she did was glance up at me with a sickly sweet smile. She batted her big blue eyes at me and her whole innocent act was almost believable, but I pursed my lips and clenched my jaw.

I shook my head sternly at her and tried to pull my hand away from hers. I hadn't thought that it would be all that difficult since I was a pretty strong guy and she was just a tiny little thing, but boy was I wrong. Drea practically had my hand in a death grip.

While I was struggling with her to get my hand back, Dante turned around to ask me something. I don't know what he said because he cut himself off the second he saw Drea's hand in mine. He stopped walking immediately and I did the same, effectively pulling the younger girl to halt as well.

Dante's eyes scrutinized our hands while mine went wide, trying to plead with him to understand that this wasn't my doing. With one last forceful tug, I finally got my hand out of his sister's, but she instantly protested, a severe pout taking over her mouth. Dante turned his glare away from me and onto his little sister and I swore for a second he was going to throw her off a cliff, he looked that upset.