Chapter 23

My stomach was in my throat when I parked my car in Dakota's driveway. I made sure to leave enough room in case his parents came home and needed to get by me.

It took me a couple of minutes of deep breathing in efforts to calm myself down before I finally stepped out of my car. I slowly walked up to the front door of his house and pressed the doorbell, then I stuffed my hands in my pockets to keep them from shaking. I had no clue why I felt so nervous.

It didn't take long before Dakota was pulling the door open. He gave me a big smile and I hadn't even realized how much I'd needed to see it until that moment. It didn't help my nerves, however.

Stepping aside, Dakota said, "Come in."

I did and I looked around while he closed the door behind me. "No one's home, right?"

Dakota shook his head and stepped closer to where I stood in the foyer. I didn't move, so there was only a foot or two of space between us.

I took in his messy dark hair and his beautiful eyes. I couldn't help but smile at him as he stared back at me. He looked happy for some reason, so I asked him about it.

Dakota shrugged. "Just really nice to see you."

"You saw me all week."

"Practice doesn't count. It's not the same as this."

My voice grew quieter. "Yeah?"

He took another step closer. I felt my breath hitch in my throat. He wouldn't stop gazing into my eyes, and it was doing weird things to stomach.

"Yeah," he breathed. The smell of peppermint instead of vodka or beer falling across my face was oddly reassuring.

My smile widened and I slipped my hands back out of my jean pockets. My hands were itching to touch him but I couldn't yet. I needed to talk to him first and if I touched him, that would probably be the end of clear-headed-Harley. I crossed my arms over my chest for safe keeping and said, "It's nice to see you too. Honestly, I'm surprised you don't hate me right now."

Dakota shrugged. "Tried to. Couldn't." I frowned, but he gave me a crooked smile. "I'm just kidding. Well, mostly...but I can't stay mad at you, Harley. I...I missed you, actually."

I felt my heart beating in my throat. "I have to tell you something," I rushed out. I needed to get this off my chest and over with before I exploded or something.

Dakota looked somewhere between worried and hopeful. "What is it?" he asked. His voice was low but I could still tell that it was shaking slightly.

I took a deep breath. "Dante and I are done."

Immediately Dakota's sea-coloured eyes went wide. He looked thrilled and I tried not to let that get to me, because I shouldn't have expected anything less. "Seriously? Like completely over kind of done?"

I nodded slightly. I didn't know what to say next.

"What happened?" he asked. His eyes clouded with concern I hadn't been anticipating and I found it somewhat comforting.

"He didn't want the same things I did," I said slowly, choosing my words carefully.

Dakota set his lips together, irritation flitting over his face. I was momentarily worried that it was directed at me, but then he shook his head in disbelief. "He's a fucking idiot," he said.

In the next instant, he had his fingers curled in the front of my shirt, tugging me roughly towards him. I stumbled over my own feet, but he caught me with his lips in a kiss filled with nothing but pent up passion.