Chapter 24

"You owe me," Corian said, smirking at me over the french fry she held to her lips.

I glared at her from across the table at the fast food restaurant we'd stopped at for lunch. It was now Saturday, and I'd briefly told her about what had happened with Dakota at his house the night before. I, of course, still left his identity a secret despite Corian's multiple efforts of guessing who this guy was.

"I don't owe you anything," I told her, eating a fry of my own.

"You wouldn't have gotten laid last night if it weren't for me forcing your bitch ass to call the guy," she said, keeping her voice low so the few people on the other side of the restaurant wouldn't hear us.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever."

She smiled victoriously. "I'll take that as your thanks. So are you guys a thing yet?"

I shook my head. "No."

"And why the hell not?"

"Because it's complicated."

"Harley...the whole reason it didn't work out with the mega-douche was because y'all didn't communicate well enough. Don't do that again with this guy."

"I don't plan on it. It's just I had to leave last night before his parents came home and we haven't had a chance to talk about the logistics because we had a game this morning."

"Okay..." Corian said slowly. I could tell she doubted the situation.

"We're hanging out tonight again, though," I offered. "I'm gonna talk about it then."

Corian gave me a bright smile in exchange for that bit of information. "Good, I can't wait to hear all about it."

"You know," I said, eyeing her. "I don't know how you managed to weasel into my life like this, but I'm not mad at it."

Corian laughed. "At least I'm welcome."

It was silent for a few minutes as we continued to eat lunch. I noticed that she kept sending me subtle glances, so I eventually raised a brow. "What now?"

"So...I've been meaning to ask you something for a little while now."

"Go for it."

"Do you think Andrew is interested in me?"

I choked on my cherry coke. I spluttered and coughed for a moment while Corian looked completely unimpressed. "Sorry," I said, coughing a couple more times. I cleared my throat. "Uhm. I'm just surprised. You like him?"

She shrugged and I could tell she was trying hard to seem unbothered about the topic. "Sort of. He's pretty hot, no?"

I wrinkled my face, picturing him in my head. "I mean I guess. But I've never really thought about him in that way."

Corian smirked. "I have. Lots of times."

"Have you guys never gone out?"

"Harley, there's plenty of guys I haven't gone out with. Like for instance guys on your team I haven't been with...Bryce Fischer, Jack Thompson, Dakota Spicer, Greyson Giraud...there's a few others but you know what I mean."

I took a deep breath as her words sunk in. When she'd said Dakota's name it took almost everything in me not to react. I looked down at my food and grabbed another fry. "Yeah, I get it. Well I've never really heard Andrew say much about you, but of course he's attracted to you. Everyone is."

Corian blushed lightly at that and it caught me so off guard that a huge smile burst onto my face. "What?" she snapped.

"I have never seen you blush. I didn't know you could."