34. Going back

Manik: Cabir, What happened?

Cabir: Nothing. Manik- Just let it be.

Manik: Cabir, you can't-

Manik stopped when he saw Cabir going stiff all of the sudden. He looked ahead and found a nervous Navya standing there who looked a little flushed seeing him there.

Manik cleared his throat and glanced at Cabir before leaving the room to them much needed privacy. As Manik left from there, Cabir turned to Navya who opened her mouth to say something. But before she could, Cabir turned away his face, refusing to listen to her.

Cabir: Go-

Navya: I know

Cabir frowned, confused at her tone and words.

Navya: I know you hate me.

Perplexed, Cabir turned to her and frowned more.

Cabir: W-Who- said that?

Navya: I just know.

Cabir: There's nothing like that.

Navya: You don't have to pretend, Cabir.

Cabir: I don't pretend, Navya. I like you. I really do -

Navya looked at him surprised and he continued.

Cabir: But you don't deserve it. You know- when I first saw you- I saw a fierce woman, and then I saw you breaking down in the hospital. Both the times, I felt you were hurting but then I saw you, Navya. You were hurting Nandini more than it was hurting you. You hurt her and you didn't regret until you came to know the truth.

Navya: I-

Cabir: No, Don't. Don't give me the same explanation you have been giving yourself all time.

Navya looked down, and Cabir let out a sigh. He had no idea why was her silence hurting him? Who was she to him? Just a mere woman whom he had met a month ago?

Why was he so attracted to her? Why was his heart losing infront of her tears? Why- he had no answer at all.

Cabir: We are going back.

He confessed and Navya looked up at him surprised. She wanted to say something but seeing his blank face, nothing came out from her mouth. She blinked and nodded her head. As she turned around to go, she stopped and turned back again.

Navya: Cabir, Can I ask you something?

Cabir: Huh?

Navya: Why do you favour Nandini so much? Is that because your bestfriend loves her?

Cabir: Might be. I do favour Nandini and I guess I will always do. You know, Navya- Manik means so much to me. In simple words, he is my life.

Navya: Why?

Cabir chuckled looking down, his mind playing the memories of the times he met Manik or when the later proved to be the bestest friend for him. People always told him he overdid for Manik - but Cabir - he knew it was the half truth. Manik had always done more for him than he had done for him. And then the man was worth everything.

Cabir: You know, Navya- when I was mere six years old, I met a boy. A tall boy with intimidating yet dull eyes, I was not scared and he was amused because everybody he met were always scared to be close to him and I- I splashed mud on his clothes within an hour of we met. I thought he will beat the shit out of me but you know what did he do?

Navya looked confused and Cabir chuckled.

Cabir: He said- I should be his friend so that everybody could see he wasn't scary. There was someone who could mess with him too. He was Manik. Manik had always been there. When I lost my parents, it was him who consoled me. His mother used to beat him for coming to me, but he- he didn't listen to her. He still came to me and said - It is okay, Cabir. She can beat me all she wants but I won't stop coming to you. You are my bestfriend and I need you. So today, when he loves Nandini, why shouldn't I favour her?