chapter 4

(Gilbert's POV)
I looked over at Anne, she had gotten really excited. I knew it was because I mentioned wildflowers but I hoped it was because it was ME that was walking with her. I smiled and studied her face for what was probably the 50th time this evening. As we neared the flower patch it finally came into view and she left my side running towards the ground I could tell she was more than happy, she was ecstatic!
I beamed with pride at the thought that I made Anne happy I MADE ANNE HAPPY!! 😊 my cheeks flushed again and I was almost as red as Anne's hair. Good thing she didn't notice. I looked over at Anne noticing that she was prancing around and jumping everywhere whilst making a flower crown. My jaw dropped almost out of my skull 'if angels look anything close to this then better behave enough to get into heaven.' I thought as I walked into the patch and sat next to the now fallen Anne.
She had a giant goofy grin on her face and she stared into the sky the stars reflecting in her eyes. 'Nobody in the world is more perfect than Anne Shirley-Cuthbert.' I thought to myself"happy Shirley?" I said with a smirk. Her smile got wider. "Oh gil, I could only if be happier if all my other friends were here too." She beamed as she stared at me. "Of course ruby would be mad that im talking to you..." Anne said. I was completely confused. "Why would ruby be mad?" I thought aloud. "Well.... ruby has a MAJOR crush on you.. and she would be mad if talked to you the way I do. I have no idea why although I think it's because of the staring contest we have," said Anne.
I was shocked because of the fact that ANNE the most independent girl I knew cared about what someone as irrelevant as RUBY GILLIS thought about her.
'Wait... did she just call the gazes we share STARING CONTEST! ' wow, she really is oblivious to me. I smiled at her trying not to look mad. "Oh...so ruby has a crush on me?" I asked. "Yeah, she was even mad when we became friends...do you like her back?" Anne asked she seemed concerned for ruby. "Not really...."I answered looking down. As I looked back up Anne stared at me looking kind of mad, and concerned "Gilbert Blythe... if you break my friend's heart I'll break your head with my slate. Do you understand?" She said with a motherly tone.
I was kinda mad that she treated me like her SON. But I looked up at her and said: "yes ma'am... I still gotta tell her about how I don't like her though." I said and pretended to look ashamed. "WELL, YOU BETTER BREAK IT TO HER GENTLY IF NOT AT ALL" Anne whisper shouted still in a motherly tone. "Yes ma'am," I said this time a little more jokingly. "But promise me you'll reward me with something..." I said. Anne looked confused "what?"
"You'll have to bake me cookies!!!" I replied I probably looked really childish. I really wanted to tell her something like 'you'll have to kiss me' or 'you'll have to go on a date with me ' but in fear of being smacked I stuck with the most innocent sounding one. Then I got up and started running around and shouted: "bet you can't catch me!"

(Anne's POV)

I got up and started chasing after Gilbert "GILBERT BLYTHE! IF THIS IS A CHALLENGE YOU ARE SOOO ON!😈" I said in a devilish tone. I eventually caught up to him and jumped on to his back catching him by surprise he stopped im guessing in shock of my action as I said :" I win!" In a very childish manner. As I saw his face he was as red as a tomato "aha! Gilbert made you blush two times tonight~" I said teasingly. "A-Anne? Why are you on my back!?" He said obviously flustered. "Because Gilbert, this was the only way I could win," I replied. "O-oh okay" he responded as he let me down. I sat in the grass patting a spot on the ground next to me "sit!" I demanded he sat without hesitation. I looked up at the stars in awe, "the view. isn't it beautiful?" I asked. As it looked in front of me found a flower that looked divine.

(Gilbert's POV)
I looked over at Anne my eyes not leaving her face "yes it is". She turned to me and put a flower behind my ear. It was kinda itchy but I didn't dare move it. the night was getting colder and I saw Anne slightly shiver, she had no jacket save a dress coat that I could tell was very thin. I quickly took off my jacket draping it over Anne's shoulders.
She looked over to me and smiled sweetly. "Thanks, gil, for everything," she said as she pecked me on the cheek. I was in complete shock and I pressed my hand to my face where her lips touched me. My jaw dropped and I just stared into the distance. SHE JUST KISSED ME! ANNE SHIRLEY-CUTHBERT KISSED ME! Then I heard her voice "GIL! Bet I can beat you to your porch!" She said. I looked at her she was already more than 12 feet away. "ANNE SHIRLEY-CUTHBERT GET BACK HERE THIS INSTANT!" I shouted. She just giggled and started running faster. As I got to the porch my face was redder than her hair, redder than a tomato* Anne turned around "haha! That's 3 times Blythe!" She giggled. "Anne! No fair.. you cheated!" I complained after realizing she won the race. "I don't see how distracting your opponent is cheating in a race, it's not like I tripped you or something..." responded Anne. "Okay, your right im a bit of a sore loser... and I do admit I liked it a bit..." I said. "W-what?!" Anne asked this time she blushed. "Looks like I got you back Shirley-cuthbert~!" I teased. She then went up to me and gently punched my arm. We started another one of her so-called staring Contest I hate that she thinks that's what they are. After what felt like too little of time staring at each other Marilla came out of the door and told Anne it was getting late and that they had to go. Anne walked away and when at the carriage she waved bye. I smiled and waved back.
[A/N g2 red* or f40]