Chapter 7- I Want To Play A Game

Chapter 7

Date: March 7th…I think

Location: Unknown

Time: Unknown

I tapped the pencil on the desk repeatedly wishing the clock would tick by faster and I could leave. The other students were chatting animatedly towards with each other while I sat quiet in the back of the room. How was it that everyone already knew each other on the first day of high school?

I recognized some kids from my middle school and chalked up not knowing anyone to the fact that my “extracurricular” activities kept me from being too social. While everyone else went to dances I spent my time working on hacking into police reports to remove some evidence placed against my aunt. While it may not be conventional, or legal, it gave me a thrill to do something so daring and not get caught.

However, listening to the others chat excitedly made me wish that I spent a little more time socializing so I wouldn’t be the odd man out.

I slumped further in my seat and wondered for the billionth time how long this day was going to be.

“This seat taken? Cool thanks,” Before I could utter anything a girl with bright blue streaks in her hair sat next to me.

I was getting better at reading people, at finding out if they wanted to screw someone over or if they had good intentions, but this girl was confusing. It was summer yet she was wearing jeans and a heavy shirt, however the most befuddling thing about her wardrobe was that she was wearing heels. Who the hell wears heels to high school?

“Hi I’m Sam,” The girl stuck out her hand towards me and I noticed the glitter nail polish that matched her hair and faltered for a moment. Was she for real?

“Aurora,” I shook her hand back and she looked at me oddly.

“Aurora, that’s a weird name,” As if she could see I was offended by her comment she hurried on, “I mean it’s cool, you never hear that name anymore. Auro-RA!”

A few people looked over at us and instead of wanting to shrink in my seat I found myself laughing with the unusual girl.

“So Aurora, mind if I call you Aura, what the hell is this class?” The girl spoke a mile a minute and I had to check on my schedule what this class actually was seeing as I was on autopilot for the day.

“Geometry,” I replied and she groaned.

“Math, why did it have to be math?” She cried out melodramatically and her outfit suddenly made sense with her outlandish personality.

“It’s not all that bad,”

With hacking came the ability to read codes and bypass certain security measures pretty easily. This made learning new math and science formulas pretty easy for me to memorize.

“You good at math?” Sam questioned.

“What gave it away?” I asked back sarcastically and she gave me a toothy smile.

“I have a feeling we’re going to be best friends,”

Before the rest of the scene could continue and I could see Sam flip off said Geometry teacher something cold hit my skin and I awoke to a black room and biting pain. Blinking my eyes open I only see a blurry silhouette before the door closes again.

Where was I? What happened?

What happened came back in snippets but it was more than enough to tell me that I was royally screwed, not that the being locked in a dark room didn’t already tell me that. I sighed and tugged and found that I could only go a few inches before chains that tied my wrists together held me back. Chains, not handcuffs, so I couldn’t even pick the lock if I wanted to.