Chapter 14- Rewind

Chapter 14

Four Years Ago

Date: June 5th

Location: Apartment in Lithuania

Time: 7:43 p.m.

“I hate rich people,” The same phrase passed through her lips like clockwork and I only nodded and hummed while trying to gather everything on the plate and not trip in the process. I was not very coordinated and carrying 6 different sandwiches was like being in the circus for me.

I finally got the last plate on and picked up the tray and felt my muscles tense slightly at the weight and fear of dropping it. All I had to do now was walk 10 feet to the customers table and I would be golden.

“You’re going to drop it,” She piped up again.

“Then you and everyone else will be thoroughly amused.” I muttered back.

Thankfully I didn’t drop anything although I did give a sandwich to the wrong person, but that was pretty close in my standards. They didn’t really say a word as they dug in and I wondered for what seemed like the billionth time if anyone in this town knew of something called common courtesy.

Feeling my feet ached I told Paulo that I was going in back to take my lunch break. He may have said something back but I was already through the door and grabbing my brown paper bag lunch out of the shooty fridge and sitting on a seat that made more noise than an infant.

Taking a bite it made me instantly miss home cooked meals or something that was better than a sandwich made from items entirely bought from what seemed like a grocery store. My funds were basically gone now and waitressing didn’t really give me much money. It paid the necessary bills, but such luxuries such as a new computer or food that cost more than ramen wasn’t really in the picture.

My mouth held the stale food for a moment before I swallowed and I looked around the room. The café on the outside was cute and quaint and perfect for the tourists and locals. The backroom, however, looked like something out of a one star horror movie. It was in desperate need of updates or at least a fridge that could get colder than 60 degrees.

I wondered if this was how the rest of my life was going to be. Yes I was relatively safe, despite the odd break-ins, where nothing was ever disturbed or stolen, but I was always going to be running. I didn’t know how long Lockstar was going to be after me, but I couldn’t imagine that they were just going to give up. Even with a new identity I would still probably have to move a lot and what then? Waitress at another restaurant. Without a college degree I was pretty much screwed, and I didn’t think making a fake record of me graduating at a university was going to keep me under the radar.

“Marge!” I jumped and looked over at the person who yelled at me and gave them a slight glare.