Chapter 12- Black and White

Chapter 12

Date: March 16th

Location: Caldwell Base

Time: 7:31 a.m.

Well so far he was taking the news of my not death better than anyone else, than again he was the least likely to care of my eventual outcome. He didn’t pull a gun on me right away so that was good news, but I wouldn’t let my guard down until I was locked back up in my base, even then it wouldn’t be certain.

I risked a look towards Matt and his usual happy face was stone cold and serious and I had the feeling he wouldn’t say a crude joke now knowing that it could mean his head.

Caldwell took a few steps towards us and my hand inched towards the hidden blade I always kept on me when I remembered I didn’t have it anymore. The switch blade Valentin had given me was buried somewhere I couldn’t even remember. I had buried it in anger after learning of his betrayal and never went back to it.

They had confiscated my blade and gun like I had predicted so now all I had was my quick wit to save me. Not really reassuring.

“Can I offer you a drink?” He was five feet away from us now and only grew more intimidating.

“Um rum?” Matt questioned and I resisted the urge to hit him upside the head. While Caldwell appreciated people with a pallet for hard liquor, he didn’t like to be fooled. Considering that it wasn’t even 8 in the morning it meant that Matt was either going to take him for a ride or was an alcoholic.

“How bout I Irish up your coffee?” Caldwell asked instead, an easy smile on his face before he transferred his gaze towards me. “Carter?”

“Tea,” I mumbled figuring I could at least go for the safer route.

“No coffee?” He goes over towards the side where there’s a whole collection of breakfast items and starts preparing our drinks. Didn’t he have someone to do that for him?

“No caffeine for me right now,” I was already wired as it is.

“Right, it’s not really good for the heart,” At that comment my heart sped up and I wondered if he was going to avenge his son, despite the fact that said son wasn’t even dead. “How are you by the way?”

“Coping,” Lying to him was going to get me nowhere and if I wanted something out of him than this was my best option.

“I’d offer my condolences but I fear they may fall on deaf ears,” He turns and hands Matt and I our drinks. “Chamomile,”

I must have mumbled a thanks or something because he smiled and went back to his seat. Matt and I mechanically followed after him sitting on the couch, sinking into it. The drink was warm and made it easier for me so my hands wouldn’t shake.