Chapter Twenty-seven

Peyton's Point of View

The second I walk in the door my mom comes up to me, "Honey! Where were you? We were so worried when you didn't come home."

"I slept at Bri's, sorry I didn't call you," I lie.

She frowns and follows me to the kitchen, "Are you okay?"

I sit down on the couch and hug my legs to my chest. "I broke up with Miles."

Her face falls, "Oh, sweetie. I'm so sorry."

Then my dad comes out of their bedroom. "You better have a good reason for staying out all-"

My mom gives him a not so subtle hand motion to stop talking.

"What happened?"

"Girl stuff," my mom says, emphasizing the words like she's try to give him a secret message.

My dad comes and sits down on the other side of me, "I can talk about girl stuff. I know tons of stuff about girl stuff."

His effort makes me laugh a little. "I broke up with Miles."

"Why?"

"Does it really matter, Larry?" My mom swats him on the shoulder.

I shrug, "I don't really want to talk about it."

Mom gives him the stank eye, "Of course you don't. Why don't we all go out to dinner? We can go wherever you want. It feels like we haven't been out to eat as a family in forever."

I smile, "Can we go to Aviva?"

"Of course! Let's go."

* * * * *

Aviva was packed. It's the best pizza place in town. During the week it isn't bad, but on the weekends it's totally crammed.

Everyone from school comes here, and I recognize someone at practically every table.

Our food takes forever to get to our table, but when it does it's worth it. My dad avoids the place like the black plague, because it's so busy.

"Thanks for taking me here, guys."

"No problem," they both say. They give me another awkward I'm-worried-about-you smile.

Once we pay the check, I follow my parents out.

I wish I had walked faster. I wish I hadn't looked around. I wish I didn't stop walking.

I stop dead in my tracks when I see a couple my age kissing and laughing in the corner of Aviva. I would recognize that god awful European hair gel anywhere.

I stand and stare, trying to rationalize what I'm seeing. Maybe it's not Edgar. Maybe he has a brother. Maybe it's his cousin and they're just a really close family.

Edgar leans away from the girl and there's no denying that it's him. The girl he's with definitely isn't Brianna.

Now, I'm pissed. I march straight over to them. "You! Y-y-you asshole! How could you do this to Bri!"

He just frowns, "Go home, Peyton." The girl looks pissed off at me, like I'm the bad guy.

"No! You go home!"

"I'm eating dinner," he says flatly.

"You don't even care!"

"Ooh, you got me."

Then I walk out of the restaurant like I toddler having a temper tantrum.

* * * * *

12:41 pm

I can't sleep. I typed a text to Bri. "We need to talk. Call me when you can." I can't bring myself to send it. I delete the whole thing.

12:59 pm

"Hey, want to hear something crazy? Haha, Edgar is cheating on you. Sorry!!" I attempted to be very lighthearted, but it came out super insensitive and awful.

1:41 am

"Edgar cheated on you! What an asshole! Only an idiot would cheat on someone like you." I tried anger, but I still just can't tell her. I know I have to, but I have no idea how.

2:13 am

It's just what I did. I cheated on Miles with Seth. God, it's Seth's fault. I've never screwed anyone over like this before. Miles didn't deserve it.

3:37

There's really no one to blame but myself.