Chapter Nine

Peyton's Point of View

I let out a long sigh as Bri curls the last piece of my hair. "Do girls really have to do this every time that they go on a date?"

After finding something to wear, doing my makeup, and sitting restlessly as Bri curled my hair and chattered about everything under the sun I was already exhausted. I hadn't even been on the actual date yet.

"Don't be such a downer! Miles is, like, really hot," she scolds.

Admittedly, Miles was really hot. Usually, really hot was practically a synonym to really arrogant.

I tease, "How would Edgar feel about that?" She just frowns and flings a pillow at my head, missing terribly.

I stand in front of the full length mirror.

I know that I should appreciate the way the cable knit white sweater and high waisted short looked. I should thank Bri for spending so long on my hair.

Instead, I just want to curl up in bed and work my way through the pile of books on my dresser.

"Thank you for everything," I tell Bri.

"No problem, tell Miles and Seth I said hi."

As if on cue, the doorbell rings. I hug Bri in the doorway, and she heads to her car while I head to Miles' car.

I sit in the passenger seat, and Seth and some girl with fiery red hair sit in the back seat. He's telling he a story, and she's giggling like a maniac.

I briefly wonder if that's how I act around him, but then I decide there is no way.

Miles grins at me as he starts backing out of the driveway, "You've got a nice house."

"Thank you," I say awkwardly.

* * * * *

After the movie, the four of us split up. We walk across the street to a little ice cream parlor.

"No, let me guess. I swear, I'll get it first try." I roll my eyes and smile a little.

"I'm warning you it's kind of weird," I giggle.

"You strike me as a cookie dough kind of girl," he decides, as we stand huddled together in front of the glass in the little ice cream parlor.

"No way, that would be too easy," I tease.

"Rocky road," he guesses again.

I shake my head, "It's strawberry."

He looks outraged, "Strawberry should not even be an ice cream flavor! It's a fruit, not a desert."

I laugh and order a waffle cone of strawberry ice cream. He gets mint chocolate chip, and pays for them both. I let him, because I guess that's what people do on dates.

The bell above the door dings as we exit and sit at a little table with a checkered tablecloth.

He shakes his head and mumbles, "How is it strawberry?"

"It tastes good," I protest.

He smiles, "You know what this means, right?"

"What does it mean?" I lick off the strawberry ice cream that is almost dripping off of the cone.

"If you're eating strawberry ice cream, and I'm eating mint ice cream I can't kiss you," he teases.

"And why is that?" I try not to blush. He is not who I expected him to be at all. He isn't arrogant or rude, just funny, sweet, and charming.

"They don't go together," he says.

"Mmmm, I guess thats okay. I don't kiss on the first date anyway," I tell him jokingly.

"Damn, I guess that means we need to go on a second date." I laugh and then Seth and the girl, Elizabeth, walk up. They pull two different chairs from another table over to ours.

Elizabeth actually seems really sweet, and definitely not dumb enough to fall in love with Seth. I would suggest he sets his sights on someone else.

Elizabeth smiles at me, "You like strawberry ice cream, too?"

I look at Miles and burst out laughing. Miles just frowns at me.

Miles scowls at Elizabeth's, "So you're choosing sides now, huh?" The poor girl looks so bewildered.

Seth just looks kind of pissed off. Did something happen with Elizabeth? Did he realize she wasn't dumb enough to fall for his tricks?

Miles seems to notice Seth's mood, too. "What kind of ice cream do you like again, man?"

Seth says, "I don't like ice cream."

Miles whistles, "Who pissed on your waffles?"

"The saying is 'who pissed in your cornflakes', not waffles," I argue.

Miles squints at me and then dabs his thumb in his ice cream and smears it on the tip of my nose. I giggle and wipe it off with my napkin. "That is how it goes, though."

"Well, no one eats corn flakes," Miles says.

"Some people do!"

"Oh, yeah? Like who?"

Elizabeth says, "My grandmother loves corn flakes!"

"Point proven, only old people eat corn flakes!"

I take my strawberry ice cream and smear it on his cheek. He grins at me, "Now you have to kiss it off, you know."

"No way!"

He sticks out his bottom lip and pouts until I lean over and kiss his strawberry ice cream cheek.

I roll my eyes, "Is that better?"

"Much better," he decides.

Elizabeth smiles at us, "You two are so cute." Then I really do blush.

I don't know why, I just feel really comfortable around him. He's so easy to talk to.

Seth stands up abruptly, "We should probably get going."

This time Seth drives and Miles and I sit together in the backseat.

The whole drive to my house we share stories about when we younger. He tells me about the time his pet fish died, and how the head fell off when he went to put it in the toilet. I admit to knocking down the class Christmas tree in grade five.

When we pull up at my house a little while later, he walks me up to my front door.

He bites his lip, and words really can't explain how hot he looks when does that. "I think I should kiss you," he states.

"I thought mint and strawberry didn't go together?"

He shakes his head and smiles, "Screw that."

Then he does lean in to kiss me. His lips brush mine so softly and his fingertips dance on the ends of my hair, and it was like something out of a movie.

He pulls me closer to him and moves his lips expertly with mine. I hear Elizabeth wolf whistle out the window, and we both pull back, smiling.

"Good night, Miles."

"Good night, Pey." For some reason, I wince as he calls me Pey. Only Seth calls me that, and I like it that way.

I wave goodbye to Seth and Elizabeth and hurry inside.