Chapter Eleven

Peyton's Point of View

An eleven year girl tugs on Seth's sleeve, "I want a butterfly tattoo!"

Seth groans and runs his hand on his face, "I told you ten times, kid. We do hearts, flowers, and smiley faces, that's it."

The girl walks away, pouting.

I start laughing softly and Seth frowns at me. "What are you laughing at, Waters?"

"You know, I was really pissed at you for getting me in trouble, but this was almost worth it. You're terrible with kids."

"Come on, I'm not that bad," he sighs.

"You made that one boy cry!"

"He was emotional," Seth argues.

"It feels like we've been here for hours," I groan.

"We have been here for hours. We've been here for two hours, and we still have two to go," he says.

That would explain why my hand is cramping from all of the hearts, smiley faces, and flowers.

"Stay here, I'll go get us a gatorade," he tells me.

"Like I have anywhere to go," I mumble.

An older blonde girl comes up to me, "Can I have a flower on my cheek, please?" I nod, and paint on an awful looking flower.

The girl, bless her soul, tells me it's beautiful and runs off to her friends.

"I only had one dollar, but we can share it. They didn't have orange, so I got blue."

"I don't like orange gatorade anymore," I frown.

"Why not?"

"My family went on vacation Junior year to the Cayman Islands. It was beautiful, but I got really sick. I threw up nineteen times. I thought I could keep down some orange gatorade, I couldn't."

"Damn, that's terrible." He passes me the bottle and I take a big sip. I almost spit it out, it burns against my throat.

Seth starts laughing, rolling around in his chair.

I whisper, "Did you spike the gatorade?"

He just grins, and I start laughing, too. When we finish the gatorade, I go buy another one.

By the time we've downed one purple, one red, and two blue gatorades the middle school dance is almost bearable.

A boy asks Seth for a smiley face, and Seth gives him one. One eye of the smile face is huge, and the other is way on the other side of the face.

When the boy complains, Seth and I just laugh.

"Ten more minutes," Seth grins.

"Finally! Can I give you a tattoo?"

"No," he pouts.

"Come on, I bought you, like, three gatorades."

"Fine, whatever."

I stand up and stand beside him, leaning down towards his face. I use the pink paint and spell out Peyton on his forehead. I put two big hearts on his cheek.

He looks at me as I sit back down, "What is it?"

"You'll see when you go home." 

Then one of the chaperones comes over and helps us pack everything up, telling us we're free to go. She shakes her head at the paint on Seth's face.

We stumble out of the school. Seth screams, "Freedom!"

"We shouldn't drive," I tell him. "I'll call Brianna."

I dial Bri's number and she answers on the first ring, "Hello? Are you done with the dance thing?"

"Yeah, it just ended. Can you come pick us up? I'm sorry." 

"Us? You mean neither of you drove a car there?"

I look guiltily at Seth. 

"Um, we did. We just decided that, like, the price of gas is..." If I was a better liar I could've made that more convincing. 

"Oh my god, Peyton. Have you seriously been drinking at a middle school dance?" 

"Um, maybe?" 

"I'll be there in ten minutes," she sighs and hangs up. Seth grabs my hand and starts walking up the hill behind the school. 

"What are you doing? It's dark, there could be bears in here!"

"We are twenty feet from the school. You're not going to die, sweetheart."

We walk even farther up the hill until he stops. "Why did we come up here?" 

"Lay down," he commands. We both lay sideways on the huge hill, and he's silent for a little while. 

"What now?" 

He leans forward to smile at me through the darkness, "Now we roll down."

"What? There could be bugs in the grass, or snakes!"

It's useless, because he's already of rolling down the hill. The only thing I can do is follow him. 

I roll down the hill, trying to keep the grass out of my face. It's like an endless loop. I see the sky then the grass and then the sky again. The farther I go the faster I end up going, until I realize I'm near the bottom and have to slow down. 

When I stand up on the sidewalk I almost fall down. The world is spinning like crazy. Seth grabs my shoulders and holds me still. 

Brianna pulls up and honks the horn at us. Seth gets in the back, and I climb in the front. 

Bri smiles and shakes her head, "I really can't believe you two." 

The car is quiet for a moment until Seth sees his painted face in the mirror and swears loudly while Bri and I laugh.