Chapter Twelve

Seth's Point of View

I'm on my way home from school the next day when a call comes over the speakers.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Seth. It's Liz."

I can't help but grin. She called me first, and I have to admire her confidence.

"Elizabeth, what are you up to?"

"Actually, my parents are out and I'm making lasagna," she says.

"Sounds hot," I joke.

"350 degrees to be exact," she laughs. "You know, I read it a magazine somewhere that it's unhealthy to eat a whole lasagna by yourself."

"Was there factual evidence to support this claim? Sounds like some bullshit."

"Yes, there were tons of interviews with young girls who ate a whole lasagna and now their lives are just terrible."

"Well, you can't deny the facts," I tell her.

She giggles, "So, do you think you could come over and help me eat it? I mean, I'm sure you don't want be responsible for ruining my life."

"I guess that would be pretty awful. I'm already on my way."

* * * * *

Later that night we're sitting together on the couch watching Elizabeth's favorite movie, Footloose. We're talking more than we're paying attention, though.

"Thank you for saving me from the lasagna," she smiles.

"I am practically your night in shining armor."

I feel like it's the right time to kiss her, and I lean down towards her. She leans backwards. Admittedly, I was kind of surprised. I was pretty sure she liked me.

"What's wrong?"

She hesitates, biting her lip. "I've been cheated on before, Seth."

I've done a lot of things wrong, but I have never cheated on a girl, ever.

"Why would you think I would do that to you, Liz?"

"I was kind of nervous when you asked me out, because you're so, well, you. I've known lots of guys who look like you do, Seth. None of them turned out to be too great," She explains.

"You think I'll cheat on you because of the way I look?"

"No, that's what I'm trying to explain. When we were talking last night I realized how sweet you are, but I'm not blind."

"Liz, I've never cheated on a girl. That's really not me at all."

"I saw the way you looked at Peyton last night. I saw the look on your face when she kissed Miles. I'm not trying to say you can never look at other girls, because honestly I'm not the jealous type. I just want to know if you really think your ready for a relationship. I don't want to get hurt."

"Peyton and I used to be friends, that's all. We were never anything more than friends."

"That's all I wanted to know," she smiles.

Then she leans forward on the couch, pressing her soft lips against mine. She lays her arms around my neck, and when she's kissing me it's hard to picture any one being stupid enough to cheat on her. She's always so happy and full of life.

I tug her closer to me, and we fall backwards on to the couch, her on top of me. She bites down gently on my lip and she tastes like mint tic tacs. Then my phone starts ringing.

Oh my god. I look at the screen and ignore the call, but the moment is already ruined.

"Who was it?"

I bite my lip.

"Well, that's certainly ironic," she jokes.

"God, I'm so sorry, Liz."

"No, it's fine, really. You can't control when you get calls or from who, it's just really bad timing. Besides, I thought you and Peyton weren't friends anymore."

"We aren't, we're just working together on a school project." Then I realize that sounds like some cliche excuse a guy uses to his parents when he's going over to a girl's house and having sex with her.

"You know it's eleven at night, right?"

"I should probably be going home. Please trust me, okay?"

She gives me a hesitant, guarded look. "I hope I don't regret this, Seth." I hope so, too. Even if I am trying to get her to fall for me, I don't want her to get hurt. Part of me hopes I fall in love with her. She's so beautiful and... safe.

I grab my coat and slip on my shoes.

"Wait, I have a question," she says.

"What?"

"Why did you and Peyton stop being friends? She seems easy to get along with."

She hit the million dollar question on the dot. The question Kelly and even my parents have asked me countless times. The question I'm still not ready to answer after years.

I smile and lie, "We just grew apart."

* * * * *

"Hey, what's up?"

"I'm sorry, did I interrupt something?"

"Uh, no. It's fine, what do you need?"

"Um, my car is still at the school. Bri gave me a ride to school and Miles gave me a ride home, so I didn't even remember until now. I just left Miles house, and I feel like it would be really awkward if I had to go back inside and asked him for a ride home. I will, though. I mean, if you're busy than I can call, like, Alyssa or something. Bri is at this pottery class, and I didn't want to bother my parents. If you can't come, it's no big deal," she explains.

I smile, "You still babble when you're nervous. I'm on my way."