Chapter Twenty-four

Seth's Point of View

"Um, Kelly told me you might be here. Sorry, am I interrupting something?"

She looks nervous. Why is she looking for me?

"Is something wrong?"

"No, nothing's wrong," she says quickly. "I just wanted to talk. You know, apologize for yelling at you. And, um, stuff?"

"Okay, we can talk. I just don't think Logan should drive himself home."

Logan jumps up from where he was leaning against the wall. "I'm fine, I'm fine. I can drive, it's all good. I'm barely buzzed, nothing will probably happen."

I frown, "Yeah, probably."

Peyton looks awkward, crossing her arms. "It's fine! Drive him home. I could meet you at your house? Or not? I mean, whatever."

"Okay, that'd be great. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm all good! Good to go!" She hurries back into her car.

Logan heads to my car. "I guess I'll just leave mine here overnight, get it in the morning. Is she always like that?"

I pull out of the parking lot, "No, I wonder if I should be worried."

"Listen, just tell her how you feel about her."

"I told you, it's too late."

He sighs, "Maybe if I had told Kate how I felt about her she wouldn't have left. Please, do it for me."

"Kate doesn't deserve you."

"But you deserve Peyton. Kate made me watch a movie once. It was something like the Art of Moving On, or the Beauty of Getting By."

"And?"

"There's a quote in it. Just throw her up against a wall and start kissing her. Chances are she'll kiss you back, and if she doesn't, at least you tried."

* * * * *

"Did Kelly let you in?"

"No, I think she's asleep. It's practically midnight. I used the key under the mat, sorry."

"No, it's fine. Here, sit down." I gesture beside me on the floor of my bedroom. "So, you said you wanted to talk about something?"

"Brianna came by my house, she apologized."

"Good, I like her."

"So we're good now."

"Are you beating around the bush? That's not like the Peyton I know."

With that she smiles, and shrugs her shoulder. Since we're sitting side by side facing the wall, I feel her shoulder shrug against mine.

"I'm not sure if I even should've come here or not."

I look at her and she looks back. "You're here now, might as well get it off of your chest."

"I had a crush on you before I met you."

I don't know what to say to that. Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't I notice? Why did you like me?

Do you still?

Instead, I say, "Oh."

She laughs a little, "I know, it must seem stupid. I'm not even sure why I'm telling you this."

"When did you stop liking me?"

I stand up and rub the back of my neck. She stands up beside me.

She sighs, and I feel like she stands there silently forever.

"I don't think I have."

"Why didn't you tell me?" It comes out angrier than I had meant it to.

"What was I supposed to say? Oh hey, this is odd because you're my bestfriend but I think you're super hot and funny and awesome." She talks in some weird high pitched imitation of her own voice.

"Why are you telling me now?"

"I thought you deserved to know! I didn't think you'd yell at me for having a crush on you! You should be flattered, asshole."

"I'm not yelling!"

"Yes, you are! You know what, I have no idea what I see in you! You're a complete douchebag sometimes!"

"And you can be such a bitch!"

"What's wrong with you? I tell you I find you attractive and you scream at me!"

"Maybe it would mean more if you weren't yelling it at me!"

"I can't believe you!"

I can't exactly say why I do it. I mean, it's not like it was the perfect, romantic movie moment, but I lean down and kiss her.