Chapter Five

Peyton's Point Of View

"I think we should organize it as our thoughts on love before the bet really starts, and after the bet. Then also a paper written by ourselves that says how we feel about what happened during the bet."

Seth nods, "That sounds good."

"Okay, I wrote out some questions. I'll ask you one, then you ask me one. Make sure to write down the answers," I suggest.

Seth shifts in his chair and looks at me, "How many boyfriends have you had?"

"Two," I answer. "How about you?" I kind of didn't want to know. I have so many dates to go on.

"I guess I had around twenty or so actual girlfriends." Instantly, I calculate that that means five girlfriends a year. "But I've been on at least 40 dates."

I jot that down, then he asks, "Have you ever been in love?"

"No," I answer immediately. Both of the times I dated I regretted it practically immediately. "Have you?"

"Yes," he answers. That raises about a million questions in my head, but I just write down the information. "Why don't you believe in love?"

I sigh, "I guess it's not that I don't believe in love. I don't believe I could ever be in love. I can't imagine anyone loving me, or me caring about someone like that."

Seth gives me a look, "Has anyone ever told you that you're really depressing?"

I ignore him, "How long were you in love?"

"Until she broke my heart," he replies evenly. Wow, how did I never hear about this? "Why don't you date more guys?"

I bite the edge of my lip, "I guess I've always been kind of nervous about what would happen if something crazy happened and I did fall in love. I've heard so many stories of abusive boyfriends and cheating boyfriends and lying boyfriends."

"Why do you date so many girls?"

He grins at me, but it looks tight and forced, "When you fall in love, you care so much about the other person. Everything else kind of fades away until you can only see that other person. I guess I date people to stop thinking about one person."

"Does it work?"

"Eventually," he replies. The bell rings and he walks out.

Bri walks up to me and we walk to lunch together. We slide into our usual booth.

"How's the project with Mr. Hottie?" I almost gag at Seth being "Mr. Hottie".

I frown, "He's not that hot, Bri."

She raises an eyebrow, "And I'm sure you're not that in denial."

"It's good, I definitely need a date soon. I literally have to go on twenty and the semester ends in two and a half weeks."

"Ask someone if they want to go to E.J.'s party tonight," she suggests.

"Who's E.J.?"

"He's Edgar's cousin. Edgar told me to invite you along."

"Well, that was nice of him," I admit. "Who should I ask? Literally none of these guys would want to go to a party with me. I don't even go to parties."