6

Sweet Pea POV

Casey was in the hospital for the week before yelling at every Nurse to let her leave. It's been three days at home, at the van. She drinks, and smokes. Everyday. All the time. At the van, at the Wyrm or the quarry. She acts happy, always smiling or laughing and making jokes. But I know she's just trying to hide how hurt she is.

"I'm worried about her Toni" I sigh, sitting with her and Fangs at our quarry table.

"She seems fine" Fangs shrugs.

"She's not. How could she be" Toni states, shaking her head, "Has FP seen her?"

"No, not unless she is at the Wyrm or around somewhere. He hasn't visited or anything" I explain.

"Hey! What we talking about gang?" Casey laughs, stumbling over to the table.

I watch as she is about to fall and quickly catch her, helping her sit down at the table. She holds a vodka bottle in her hand, it half empty.

"You drink all that Case?" Toni asks.

"Not yet! Just half" she chuckles, taking another sip.

"Hey, I think that's enough Case" I warn, reaching for the bottle.

"Stop! What are you doing Sweets you're meant to be my friend! I'm going to dance, I like this music" she shouts, rushing over into the group of kid Serpents dancing under the stars

I take a deep breath, watching as she jumps up and down. Every minute or so she stops and sways to one side before fixing herself back up straight. I tap my fingers on the tables worried.

"You're not going to be able to get her to stop. She's Viper. Won't listen to anyone, even you Sweet Pea" Fangs notes.

"She might listen to someone, and I'm not going to stop until she listens" I declare, "Toni watch her alright?"

"Yeah I will. Where are you going?"

"I'm going to FP" I state.

"What for?" Fangs responds.

"He's the closest thing-he's her Dad"

I walk over to my bike and get on, riding to Sunnyside trailer park. I know FP isn't technically her Dad, but he took her in when she was five years old. Soon after I knock on the door, it opens to reveal FP. A beer in his hand.

"You drinking again?"

"What do you want Sweet Pea?" he sighs.

"I want to talk about Casey"

With that, he moves to the side, allowing me to walk in. We sit down at the kitchen table, beers in our hands.

"Shes not okay. She's drinking and smoking herself to death. Look you need to talk to her"

"What? You think she will listen to what I have to say. She hates me" he scoffs.

"She doesn't hate you. She loves you, she just wants you to care"

"I do care"

"Seriously? Then why the hell are you drinking right now?" I question.

"Because I can" he glares.

"She went to Juvie for you! Yet she still doesn't hate you! But you know what FP, I hate you. I hate you for letting her take the blame for something you did. I hate you for making her go to Juvie for fucking eighteen months!"

"She didn't have to do it! I gave her a choice!"

"Barely! And then when she went through with it, you left her alone! She never said she was mad at you. But you left her. Cause you were too selfish and upset about that fact that, she, went to Juvie" I scoff mad, "You pushed her away when she didn't want to be away from you. And you broke her heart"

He looks at me shocked, probably coming to realise that what I am saying is true. I haven't spoken to FP properly, haven't expressed my anger towards him until now. I stand up and go to leave he trailer, but FP grabs my wrist tight and stands up to face me.

"Take care of her"

Is all he says before I walk out the door. I kick the grass pissed, taking a deep breath then looking up to see Casey, smoking on a cigarette.

"You two talking about me?" she questions.

"Truthfully, yeah" I nod.

"What? About me fucking the Ghoulie king? Or about me not knowing I was fucking the Ghoulie king? Or-or wait" she laughs, "About me getting beaten the fucking shit out of, drugged, raped and fucking stabbed by the Ghoulie king?"

"Casey, we weren't talking about that. We're just worried"

"I'm fine" she responds fast.

"Seriously?" I scoff, "I am so sick of hearing you say you're fine Casey, because I know you and you're not fine!"

"Sure! But nobody really cares right? I mean no one should care because I'm just fucking Carter! No last name because, I don't have a family like all the other kids. I spent my Sweet sixteenth birthday, getting the shit kicked out of me in Juvie! So yeah, I smile and say I'm fine, because no one cares and they shouldn't care"

"I care! God damn it don't you see how much I care? Toni! FP! Fangs!"

"Don't care Sweet Pea! I'm not worth it! I am a weak, pathetic sorry excuse for a Serpent"

"Casey..."

"I've got my own place to stay tonight. You don't have to worry about me anymore. In fact, just stop caring Sweet Pea, like I said it's not worth it" she slurs drunk.

"Don't do this Case. Don't get all cold on everyone you love to hide that you're hurt or to not hurt us" I plead.

"I'm not hurt, Sweet Pea. I am in pain" she gasps, "And I'm not going to spread that pain"

"Pain isn't a cold, you can't catch it from other people" I argue, "And it will get better Casey"

"I don't believe you" she admits, before turning around and walking away.

My hands go to my mouth and I take a deep, shaking breath. My eyes start to water so I get on my bike and head to the Wyrm. Toni is sitting outside.

"S-She is in pain and I can't help her" I declare, "Casey has helped me through, everything. Now, I can't help her this once! This fucking once!"

I shout, frustrated and furious. Kicking the trash bins, making loud bangs and then pushing them over. Suddenly I feel hand's in my arms, I turn and look down to Toni. She doesn't say anything, just wraps her arms around me. I take breath calming down, then hugging my friend back.