Part 15

“Ben,” I say grabbing on to his arm making him turn. “Ben, it’s my dad.” I say still staring at him. Ben tries to see who it is but because he doesn’t have the best memory, he probably doesn’t recognize him like I do.

            “Which one?” He asks still looking around.

            “The one you guys saved me from.” I say with my eyes suddenly bulging. I feel Bens arm tense up underneath my hands just as I say that. He lays a hand on mine and starts to step back.

            “Come on, let’s get out of here.” Ben says as we start to walk away but, we are stopped when that same familiar voice calls out my name once again.

            “Kali, is that you?” My father says coming closer to us. Ben and I stop to face him but I still have my grip tightly on Ben's arm. I know he’ll protect me if anything happens.

            “Kali, oh thank god I found you!” He practically yells out. He’s now within 5 feet away from us and I’m still glued to the same position as I was. My father tries to come forward to hug me but I only step back behind Ben who is glaring my father down.

            “That’s far enough.” Ben says. My dad stops and looks down at the ground and then back at me.

            “I’ve changed Kali I swear. I stopped drinking five years ago when we—when we lost you.” He says trailing off.

            “That won’t make a difference. You hurt me too much.” I say almost in a whisper.

            “Please forgive me. You’re the only person I have left in this damn world now. Your mother died 4 years ago from alcohol poisoning in her kidney.” He says clearly upset. That doesn’t surprise me at all to be honest with all the drinking they did 24/7. Sure I’m a little upset that my own mother died but that can’t change the way I feel about them. They hurt me; physically and emotionally.

            “Ben, Kali, come here for a second.” I hear Hal say off in the distance. Ben starts to move but I’m still in the same place so he practically has to drag me back to where Hal is. Both of the boys are now staring my father down.

            “Kali, is that really who I think it is?” Hal asks glancing at me.

            “If you think it’s my dad then yes, it is.” I say crossing my arms over my chest. I’m trying real hard right now not to break down in to tears but one escapes causing me to cover my face with my hands. I feel Ben wrap his arms around me and pull me closer to his body while he massages the back of my head.

            “Hey, hey, don’t worry we won’t let him touch you.” Ben says. I look up at them then back at the ground, feeling ashamed. They shouldn’t always have to pity me and protect me but I’m happy they do.

            “We promise Kali. Now come on let’s get out of here.” Hal says laying his hand on my back. I slowly nod and wipe my eyes knowing that I had let more than just a couple tears drop. After some time, I finally convince the guys to let me go to the shooting range alone to meet Allie. We scheduled to have it all to ourselves for the afternoon because we needed to let off some steam.

            “Hey Kali, what’s wrong?” Allie asks as I walk in all puffy-eyed and tired.

            “Umm I saw my real dad.” I say sitting down in a chair. She pulls one right in front of me and sits down herself.

            “Did he hurt you?” She asks well aware of the fact that my biological parents abused me until the age of 7.

            “No, Hal and Ben were there.” I say setting my gun on the table beside us.

            “You know you never really told me what happened with them? How you got away from your parents I mean.” Allie says looking at me.

            “Well one day after school I came home and my parents were totally wasted. They trashed the entire house with beer bottles and cigarette buds everywhere. Usually I would go straight to the Masons but instead this time I walked in my parents room like an idiot because I was hungry and they didn’t go out grocery shopping like they were supposed to. Anyway, when I walked in and asked them if we could go to McDonalds, they got mad and slapped me. I ran out of the house as fast as I could and straight to the Masons. I had enough of them treating me like crap and when I got there, I opened the door and ran straight into Rebecca and Toms room. They were just sitting there on the bed doing nothing so I ran over to Rebecca’s arms and told her everything. After that, she told Tom to call social services and I stayed with them until I found a new home with better and loving parents.”I say finally. “So that’s my story.” I say sighing.

            “Wow.” Is all Allie says. I don’t blame her; it’s a lot to take in. I know because I actually lived it.

            “Yeah well let’s get to shooting shall we?” I say hoping to change the subject. So for the rest of the day we just stay there talking and shooting and letting all our anger out that has been building up over the past few days. After a few hours I get tired and decide to go back to my room for the night and just read. Clearly, as you can tell, I love reading.

            Just as I’m about to finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, someone knocks on the door. This always happens; either I’m on a really good part or about to finish the book. Ugh people just let me read! I close the book and start walking towards the door and once I open it, I regret doing so.

_____________________________________________________________________________

So what did you think? 

64 votes/comments/shares/reads for Part 16