Part 2

After a while, we get back to Charleston in one piece and once we do I help unload the truck with everyone else. I take out Hals wheelchair from the back and hand it to Allie down on the ground. A soldier picks up Hal and hands him down to Ben and Tom so they can put him on the wheelchair. I jump off the truck just in time to see Hal and Allie run off.

“Ben, Kali, we could use your help in the infirmary with the harnessed kids.” Tom says to us.

“Of course we just need to wrap up here.” Ben says.

“Alright I’ll see you guys later.” Tom says walking off. I nod at him and start to walk to the infirmary with Ben. I’m still holding on to my side and Ben notices.

“Are you okay Kali?” He asks me.

“Yeah I’m fine just almost became part of a car. How about you?” I say sarcastically.  

“Fine but I better wash this blood off my face before it dries up too much.” Ben says. I laugh and he wraps his arm around my shoulders kissing the top of my head. We walk all the way to the infirmary and once we get there, I see Jeanne and Lourdes standing outside the ‘de-harnessing room’.

“Fortunately the harness hasn’t been on Diego for that long so this should be a fairly quick procedure and a very short recovery.” Lourdes tells Jeanne. I walk up beside Jeanne who is staring inventively at Diego.

“Are you sure?” She asks.

“Completely soundlessly and without side effects.” Lourdes says. I look at Jeanne who still looks worried.

“He’ll be fine Jeanne don’t worry.” I say grabbing her shoulder. She nods and we watch Anne begin the procedure. I can’t really tell what’s going on exactly but after a few minutes, she says it’s done and Lourdes and Jeanne rush in there. They take Diego to another room and I leave to go find Ben who ran off somewhere.

Ben is walking around the hallways towards the planning room with the rebel leader. I run up beside him just as he turns the corner.

“Hey what’s going on?” I ask grabbing hold of his arm.

“Dad wants us to meet in the planning room. You too.” Ben tells me. I nod and look at the rebel leader who is looking at me strangely. I nod and smile at him too and he nods back. I see Ben look at him then back at me and smile.

“What?” I ask him smiling.

“Nothing.” Ben says laughing a little. We make it to the planning room and walk to the corner of the room. A few minutes later, Tom walks in with Marina Peralta, his stalker in my opinion.

“Sorry I’m late, as you were gentlemen.” Tom says as everyone at the table stands.

“Will someone mind telling me what our alien friend Cochise is doing here?” Weaver asks as Cochise walks in the room.

“The Volm are our allies and deserve to have a voice in the assessment in our missions. My son Hal just pointed out that we got our tails caught in it back there. Is that a fair assessment kernel?” Tom says.

“Fair enough yes.” Weaver says. You know he may be a Kernel now but I still call him Captain Weaver just because he’s still that same guy to me.

“Even with Kernel Weavers planning they still knew we were coming.” Tom says.

“We walked right in to it. First time ever we were ambushed on one of these missions.” Weaver says.

“What are you thinking Tom? That we’ve got some type of infiltrator some kind of spy or traitor?” Porter says.

“We have to consider it.” Tom says.

“With the alien doodads and eye worms it could be anybody in the city of Charleston.” Weaver says.

“Or anything, we have Skitters camped right next to us. Running around our city like nobodies business.” Bressler says. I roll my eyes at his ignorance. 

            “Rebel Skitters loyal to the cause.” Tom says.

            “Skitters none the less sir who not too long ago were killing people of our own kind.” Bressler says.

            “They’ve fought side by side along with humans for a while now I think they’ve proved their loyalty.” Tom says.

            “Can an old soldier put his two-sense in here?” Porter says. Tom nods and Porter continues. “One year ago if you’d asked me what our chances were to win this fight, that’s slim to none. Now it’s seven months down the track we’ve done more than just stick the occasional finger in the enemy’s eye. We put the hurt on them.” Porter says. Bressler starts to say something but Porter stops him.

            “Let me finish my thought. In fact it’s so effective the enemy has resorted to espionage as a reencounter. In my opinion that’s good news.” Porter says.

            “General, I am pleased to hear you say that and I agree with you whole-heartedly. Excellent news.” Cochise says from his spot at the door. No one is moving or talking at first by the fact of his opinion.

            “I beg your pardon is it not an appropriate moment to comment?” Cochise asks.

            “It’s quite appropriate please continue.” Tom says.

            “Not only have the Espheni resorted to espionage as General Porter has pointed out, but they have been forced to deploy their superior terrain droids. Usually reserved for more technologic advanced forces. You have unnerved the Espheni; a worthy and unique accomplishment sir.” Cochise says.

            “But there’s been no decisive battle.” Bressler says getting angry.

            “No but understand large offenses general.” Cochise says.

            “That makes no logical sense.” Bressler says.

            “Well human logic is to be challenged at war when with extra-terrestrial beings.” Cochise says.

            “Well we still have this damn mole to get rid of.” Weaver says pointing out the obvious.

            “Agreed. I suppose we appoint Arthur Manchester to head an investigation.” Tom says nodding to Marina.

            “Seriously?” Weaver asks.         

            “He’s got a head for these things. He’s the only one who didn’t have prior knowledge of the planning of the mission.” Tom says. The meeting ends and Tom dismisses everyone. After making sure the rebel leader got back to his base safely, Ben and I go back to our own room for the night.

            Later that night, I wake up suddenly from a nightmare I was having. My eyes slam open and I sit straight up panting and sweating like a dog, trying to catch my breath. Ben must’ve heard me because he wakes up rubbing his eyes.

            “What’s wrong?” He asks me. I push my hair back from my face with my hands and close my eyes. Ben sits up and wraps his arms around me half asleep. Burying my face inside his bare chest, we lie down back on the bed and he holds me until I fall asleep, making sure that I was okay.

_________________________________________________

Please comment, vote, and share!(:

What are your thoughts on the Threequel so far? I know it's only two parts long but I'd still like to know what you think!

30 comments/votes/shares/reads for part 3!