Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Thirty-Six

"What the hell was that all about?" Peyton threw her purse and keys down on the table.

I rubbed my forehead and pinched my eyes shut, still trying to make sense of everything that just happened.

"I don't know. I think.. I think Luke and I are done."

"Yeah right," Peyton scoffed as she untied her sneakers.

"Trust me, I wish I was wrong," I mumbled.

Peyton finished taking her shoes off and sat down on the couch next to me. "Spill. What happened?"

I leaned back on the couch and brought my legs up so I could hug my knees, no longer caring if I messed up the freshly made up bed for Peyton.

"Where do I even begin," I rolled my eyes and managed to let out a small laugh.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I ended up telling Peyton everything. From the first time I met Cam, to the phone call that basically ended my relationship with Luke. She agreed with me that Luke and I probably shouldn't be seeing each other anymore. It's just not safe.

Peyton also filled me in on what went down between her and Michael. They managed to patch things up, but she's not ready to be in a relationship with him. So for now, they're taking things slow.

I probably could have benefited from taking things slow with Luke. Lesson learned.

"We should just, like, get away. Our next screen writing class isn't until next week. I think we could all use a little vacation from this, uh, neighborhood." Peyton nodded her head towards the guys' house across the street.

She was right. Being so close to Luke wouldn't help anyone right now.

"I feel bad that I didn't even really give him an explanation as to why all of a sudden I can't be with him anymore. God, I'm such a bitch." I cradled my head in my hands and groaned.

"No, you're not a bitch. You did what you had to do, so don't say that. See, this is why we need to go away on like, a trip or something! You seriously need to get your mind off that non-understanding ass wipe." Peyton spoke with such seriousness, I couldn't hold back a giggle.

"Non-understanding ass wipe?"

She nodded her head aggressively. "Mhm, that's right."

"Well that settles it. We need to go on a girls trip!"

Peyton smiled at me as she agreed. "That's what I'm talking about! I'm calling Sam and Jill. You call Katie and Brooke. We're planning this shindig immediately." She whipped out her iPhone and started dialing.

Just as I was about to call Brooke, Katie walked through the front door.

"Honey, I'm hooooome!"

Peyton rolled her eyes. "Quiet, I'm on the phone!"

Katie scurried over to where I was sitting and sat down next to me, watching me very carefully. She looked at me as if she was expecting me to say something.

"Oh my God, what?" I groaned.

"I ran into Luke on my way out of their house. He looked... pissed." She stopped talking for a minute to gage my reaction. She seemed shocked as she took in my lack of interest or emotion. "He wouldn't even talk to me or Ashton. I get the sense that something happened between you two?" She looked at me with such sympathy, like she felt so bad for me that she had to tip toe around the subject.

I'm so tired of the constant pity party that's followed me ever since people started to find out about Cam.

"Yeah, Luke and I are done. The usual Cam shit. Whatever, honestly. I'm sick of talking about this." I stood up from where I was sitting and walked into my bedroom, shutting the door behind me.

My bed sank down a little as I threw myself onto it, half hoping it would just swallow me up. Was this what the rest of my life was going to be like? Controlled by some malicious ex-boyfriend? It felt like I was living in a bad movie.

As I was coming to terms with the realization that I'd be living in fear for the rest of my life, I heard a light knock at my door.

"Yeah?" I answered, sitting up on my bed.

Katie and Peyton walked into my room and made themselves comfortable on my bed.

"Peyton filled me in, I'm all caught up, and we never have to talk about it again. Deal?"

I smiled and nodded my head as I snuggled into Katie. Peyton threw herself onto us, too. "Cuddle puddle time!"

Katie wrapped her arm around me and began to talk at her usual lightening fast pace. "Okay, so where should we go on our girls' trip? I was thinking Jill's parents' beach house in Malibu. She offered it when I called her. Even if it's only for a night, we just need to get away."

I nodded my head in agreement as my mind wandered. What is going to happen when we get back? Am I supposed to just expect that everything will go back to normal? We're going to have to see the boys at some point. They live across the street from us, for crying out loud.

Fuck it.

I decided not to dwell on this any longer. I'm going to enjoy our girls' trip, and whatever happens after that, happens. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I got up from my bed and started shoving clothes and bathing suits and everything I'd need into an overnight bag.

I turned around to face Peyton and Katie, still sitting on my bed. They looked at me in confusion as I cocked my eyebrow at them. "I'm ready whenever you are."
~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR'S NOTE: thanks for reading! please don't forget to comment and vote for this chapter.. thank you :)