R e s o l u t i o n s (4)

Life is about trusting your feelings and taking chances, loosing and finding happiness, learning form the past and realising people change. But somewhere on the way I lost who I was and who I wanted to be. The feeling of being stuck and not being able to move is the worst. It feels like you are bound and you have to destroy the chains to feel yourself again.

The morning Sun greeted me with its bright rays penetrating through half closed curtains. The summer was coming to an end and hence the Sun was calming rather than bothering. I woke up and after a long hot shower I got changed into black jeans and a tank top.

There was no room service so I ended up in "Jimmy's Cafe". I was currently fidgeting with my phone while a bacon sandwich was set in front of me which was getting soggy. My mind was reeling with possibilities that can occur by dialling Rebekah. We didn't part on the best of terms. While our rivalry was nothing but childish, there was still some hesitancy. I wasn't close to her, so dialling her and telling everything point blank seemed a condemnable act. I knew my fidgeting would get me nowhere so I dialled without thinking any further and held the phone to my ear.

"Hello." Her voice was muffled by shuffling in the background,"I am in middle of something here so if you can speak today, it would be fairly convenient for both of us Caroline."

After getting over the fact that she knew it was me, I spoke up. "Hello Rebekah. Greetings? Ever heard of them." I feigned the best cheery tone I could. She sighed at the other end. The sound of her feet tapping on the floor resounded.

"How can I help you?" She said, now seemingly away form the bustle and apparently, more relaxed.

"I am here, in New Orleans. Thought a call wouldn't hurt." I replied indifferently.

"You are here right now? Like I needed more surprises." She again sighed deeply and I became curious that what was exactly happening there.

"Where are you right now?" She asked and I told her about my current location.

"There is a bar around the corner. Meet me there in fifteen minutes." She instructed me.

I stood up, leaving my supposed breakfast there with some cash and trudged to the main street. There was indeed a bar right where she told me. I entered and a fussy atmosphere greeted me. The bright walls and the long line of chairs didn't help the cause but it seemed full of life and home to many broken and disoriented people. I reached the buffet and a beautiful blonde barwoman was standing there. I sat at a stool placed near it.

"What can I get you?" She smiled.

"Nothing yet. I am waiting for someone." I replied as a simper invaded my features. She scurried away to serve other customers. The bell on the door jingled and I turned around to find Rebekah entering the bar with her usual sass and indifference. I waved a little and she smiled. She slid in the stool right next to me.

"Isn't it a little tentative that you came here after my brother paid you a little visit?" Her expression was teasing and a chuckle escaped my throat.

"You and I both know how far fetched of a fantasy that is." I replied with my eyebrows raised as a sign of disbelief when deep down I had a clue it had to do something with that.

"How is Mystic Falls going without us?" She asked sarcastically.

"Stefan and Matt are alright." I answered her unasked question which I knew she was holding herself back to voice out.

"Well thats good to hear."

"How is everyone here?" A knowing smile masked her features at my question.

"Lets say things are not smooth here. Its a bloody chaos." She said. "Caroline ask away what you want to. No good in holding back now is it?"

"Okay then. How is Klaus?" I asked flailing my hands in air as a sign of frustration.

"I think you know that." She said raising her eyebrows.

"Anyone can take a guess at that and be close to truth." A slight pause ensued, "maybe ruling a kingdom or collecting slaves?"

"Of course you are right." Her thick British accent rang in my ears. "He convinces himself of something and it remains marred forever. He convinced himself he was alone, that nobody cared for him thousand years back and nobody has been able to change that."

I looked at her quizzically, unable to comprehend the root for her saying that, what I knew all along.

"You can Caroline. You can save him from himself." She said with a reassuring smile.

Our past shapes us, it moulds us into the person we become but it doesn't define us. We are defined by the choices we make. I wanted him to realise it but how, I didn't have a clue.