A f f e c t i o n s (20)

"Next time you fancy a snog, do use a confined space."

"Don't tempt me to feed your intestines to Hayley's pack. They seem to use their teeth in most unlikely places already."

"Now don't be so cranky little brother, though you should consider working on your mood swings if you want some."

"And still I have chances more probable than you"

"I don't think you can say that when history has proved how untrue it is, time and time and time...."

You can act like the thousand years old beings walking behind you are not arguing like teenagers. You can pretend they haven't been doing that from last fifteen minutes or that the said argument doesn't involve you in several ways but you can't dissemble your irritation when one of them tugs at your hair, makes you turn around and say,

"If you could rumpy pumpy with one of us, who would you choose Care?" Ace's lips thinned giving a serious persona when his eyes were doing salsa with amusement.

"I sometimes doubt that you have grown even a bit after six Ace." I said incredulously, "as for your question, I would rather take a bath in gutter water then doing rumpy pumpy with either of you."

Klaus snickered from behind and earned a metal penetrating glare from me.

I turned around again to see myself facing the intimidating gates of Lafayette cementary. The eerie locale, the chilly whips of air gushing past us, the resultant dimness post sunset, made me want to shudder.

According to witches, the other side was collapsing and no one was aware as to why. Ace's best guess was their mother, Esther was behind the unforeseen changes. The balance was tipping. Witches were finding it easier to harvest their magical capabilities from their long dead ancestors. Powerful deceased vampires were seen visiting their friends. In a nutshell, it was getting chaotic.

"Why are you both so darn chirpy when there is a possibility Ted Bundy is waiting for us at the corner. He was a vampire, you know." I took leisure steps towards the gates, knowing both of them were a mere three steps behind me.

"Love, you could have avoided the Ted Bundy dilemma if I do say so myself." Klaus's voice stated, earning a shrug in return.

"I didn't want to. Thrill and all." Sarcasm laced my every word.

He knew that sitting helpless in a confined place when there was a danger that every supernatural being ever killed could be strolling the streets, wasn't my strongest forte.

"I don't think they can provide us with any more information than we already know. The witches and us haven't been on the best of terms since," Ace stepped in front of me and pushed open the gates, "forever."

"Then bother explaining why your first guess was dear mother for this frenzy?"

"Just know that your child isn't safe, Nik. Not from mother and certainly not from Dahlia."

The realization that Ace called his birth-mother by her name didn't strike me as a surprise. It was clear that she had no role in making him the man he was today, at least not a positive one.

The intimidating built of the mausoleum loomed over us as we approached it. As I stepped in , a grave dimness surrounded me. Barely lit candles littered the corners and their smoke wafted the air. "Thump! Thump!", sounds of our footsteps echoed back several times. A whoosh of air and Klaus had a witch with a dagger pinned to the wall.

"Oh come on! I expected your evil scheme to be less boring than this!" Klaus exclaimed with a triumphant smirk. Before she could chant a spell, he loosened his grip and finally released her.

"A boring scheme is no bother if it serves its purpose." The witch was in her late forties but her dark skin glowed and her hair, held in a tight bun on top of her head were as lustrous as ever.

"Chelsea!" Ace cried out with a rattled expression.

"My boy! Oh my boy! Why are you in this God forsaken place? Run away and take this girl with you or this abomination will ruin you with himself." The said witch was staring Ace with an affection so surreal that her eyes reddened and her shoulders began to shook as she started stepping towards him.

"Love, let me introduce you to our lovely aunt Chalsea, the right hand of Dahlia and surely the next candidate in the grand scheme of killing my daughter."