Chapter 17: Sean

Sean’s POV:

Ever since that faithful night at the bar I’ve done nothing but worry. Everything that happened between Dover and I started to eat at my insides making me sick to my stomach. I dreaded the day Dover would actually succeed in cornering me somewhere and finally tell me what I’ve been trying to avoid. I’m just glad all the anxiety was all in my head. I leaned my head back against the headrest of the truck as we bounced along in the darkness towards the base. I could feel Dover next to me swaying back and forth from the truck’s movements. That weirdness that had appeared between us out of nowhere was gone now.

It was like it was before that whole McClane debacle happened. Now that I had this part of my life straightened out I had to man up and continue on the right path. I couldn’t hide from McClane forever and it wouldn’t be fair to anyone if I did. Pushing my hands into my pockets I fingered the piece of paper with Katlin’s number on it. Ever since that day I’ve been carrying it with me. I came close to calling her twice but fear swallowed me whole leaving me quaking in my military issued boots. Now… now I was ready. I was ready to take the necessary steps forward. I was ready to face my biggest fear of all… McClane.

When Davis dropped us off Dover and I wandered towards the family center. He said Julie would be working late and he wanted to walk her to her car. I couldn’t help but grin at him. He looked at me grinning then cut his eyes to the ground turning a pretty pink in the process. I teased him for his chivalrous manners and his knight in shining armor qualities while he tried his best to ignore me. When we made it to the family center his face was as red as Julie’s hair.

                “What’s with the face?” She asked when she spotted us at the door. Cutting his eyes to me Dover frowned then stalked behind the counter and dropped into the empty seat next to Julie.

                “Sean’s being an ass.” He grumbled. Looking to me Julie raised a brow. Shaking my head I gave her a perfect angel face.

                “I was only commending Damian on his manners and suddenly he turned into a sour puss.” I said. Looking to Dover Julie smirked.

                “Aw… Dover don’t be that way.” She cooed. Rolling his eyes Dover turned away from us. Looking to me Julie’s lips tightened and her cheeks started to tremble. I was biting on my inner lip when Dover sighed.

                “Go ahead, you know you want to laugh.” He said. Thank God he said that because I didn’t know how much longer Julie and I could hold on. After five minutes of us cackling Dover stood and started for the door.

                “If you two clowns are finished we need to hurry up. We’ve only got twenty minutes until lights out.” He said pointing to the clock. Standing Julie started to shut her computer down and gather things.

                “Sorry love, but you are so adorable sometimes.” She said pulling her purse strap onto her shoulder. Taking her briefcase Dover gave her glare then headed out the door. I was still chuckling to myself when I stopped.

                “I need to make a pit stop.” I said back tracking into the lobby. Pausing Julie opened her purse and started to fish through her belongings for her keys.

                “Okay, just push the door up all the way to make it lock.” She said and then she was gone. I waited a full three minutes before I peeked around the corner and out the door. Once I saw it was clear I headed for Julie’s desk and pulled out Katlin’s number. My finger’s felt clumsy trying to dial the number but I wouldn’t give up. Once the number was in I waited as it rang three times.