Chapter 37: SK Pt. 2

Kate’s POV:

12:00 a.m.

I sat watching the clock as it turned midnight. It was official Thursday morning. I wanted to leave right then and there but Avery kept reminding me I couldn’t. He kept telling me it wouldn’t be long. Penny would be safe and Donavon would be out of my hair forever.

2:13 a.m.

All I could think about was the last words Penny said to me as I was shipped off to rehab for the last time. The look of disappointment in her eyes and the ache it caused in my chest. Penny was my reason for getting better. She was my reason I worked so hard. All the times my parents begged and pleaded with me never quite got through my drug filled haze the way Penny’s words cut me. I worked hard to get where I am today with Penny. I refused to let Donavon Walker come and take it all away.

5:46 a.m.

I can’t close my eyes. Every time I do I’m there again, in the back of his van. I’m huddling in the corner watching him desecrate my body with his filth and l wanted to scream but I can’t. I wanted to push him away but he wouldn’t feel it. I was helpless. I’m tired of being helpless. So tired of everything… I just want everything to stop. Why can’t this just stop?

8:26 a.m.

                “Have you slept at all?” Avery asked me when he stepped through the kitchen door. Looking up from the bare table I swallowed hard.

                “I tried but I couldn’t stay sleep.” I said. Going to the fridge Avery paused and looked at the clock on the microwave.

                “You still have time to catch a nap before we have to leave.” He said pulling out the orange juice.

                “I wish I could but I can’t. I can’t sleep until Penny is safe.” I said pushing out of my chair. I went to pass Avery but before I could he stopped me with a hand on my shoulder.

“We will get her back you know that right?” He asked. Looking to him I tried to keep my tears in check. I was tired of crying. Nodding I took a deep breath. I stood there watching Avery as he stared into my eyes.

“I won’t let him hurt you again.” Avery whispered before leaning in and kissing me lightly on the lips. Pulling me in Avery wrapped his arms around me. Placing my face against his chest I listened to his strong steady heartbeat. Placing another kiss on the top of my head Avery whispered softly.

“Today is the last day he’ll ever hurt you again. I promise.”

Penny’s POV:

Something is seriously wrong with him. I mean yeah he’s crazy and all that but it’s not just that. He looks sick. Like ‘Oh my God, there’s a deadly killer virus on the loose and I’ve been infected’ sick. He keeps applying makeup but each time he swipes the foundation sponge it makes the rashes on his face and neck more pronounced.

I wanted to turn my head to see more clearly but afraid if I did he would come over to me. I didn’t want him to know I was awake. I heard him earlier, arguing with himself about Katie. I’m scared if she comes he’ll hurt her and if she doesn’t come he’ll hurt me.

                “It’s almost time… Katlin will be here and then I can make all this badness go away. She’ll make everything better and all will be forgiven.” He said to himself in the mirror. Turning to me he watched me in the dirty reflection of the mirror. I kept my breathing slow and didn’t move. Slowly he turned in the chair and stood.

                “I can’t let Kate see Penny in such a state… she has to be presentable for her.” He mumbled as he went to a pile of clothing on the ground. Shuffling through it he picked out a few pieces of clothing. Coming over he laid them at the bottom then sat on the cot next to me. I wanted to scream when his fingers touched the skin of my arm.

                “It won’t be long now Pretty Penny. It won’t be long.”

Dover’s POV:

I was loading my rifle into the back of Avery’s car when McClane came running out the house.

                “Have you seen Kate?” He asked almost out of breath. Shaking my head I closed the door. Going to the garage he pulled the door up and cursed.

                “SHE’S GONE!” McClane yelled running back inside the house. Following him I spotted Avery pulling on a standard issued bullet proof vest. Tossing one to McClane he offered me one. Shaking my head I pulled up my shirt to reveal my own.

                “I knew I should have hid my sister’s car keys. I didn’t think she’d be so stupid to go alone.” Avery muttered yanking his duffel bag from the floor and heading toward the door.

                “You mean she’s gone to get Penny by herself?” I asked. Nodding McClane shrugged on the vest and followed Avery outside. Bringing up the rear I closed the door and jumped inside the car Avery had started.

                “Do you know where to go?” I asked Avery as he whipped the car out of the driveway and peeled down the street.

                “McElroy and Hudson, that’s where Walker told her to meet.” Avery said focusing on the drive. Pulling his phone out McClane typed the street names in.

                “There’s nothing but burned down buildings on McElroy and Hudson. The entire block burned after faulty wiring overheated and blew up a water heater.” McClane explained.

                “Are you sure it was faulty wiring?” I asked. Looking back at me McClane showed me the phone. Reading it I shook my head slowly.

                “There was no faulty wiring.” I said.

                “What do you mean? How do you know the cause wasn’t faulty wiring?” Avery asked.

                “McElroy and Hudson was a newly renovated business neighborhood. They raised money for the military by holding benefits and carnivals. They didn’t want to destroy the buildings themselves because they were so historic. So they gutted everything. Everything was replaced with new state of the art stuff. Nothing was faulty.” I explained. Looking to his phone McClane frowned.

                “How do you know this?” He asked. Memories of that summer working came flooding back to me.

                “My senior year of high school I worked with Baeil’s construction company. They were the ones who did the renovations on McElroy and Hudson. I think Walker set fire to those buildings and Reed covered them up having the reports falsified stating it was faulty wiring.” I said. After that little bombshell we rode in silence until we reach the off ramp for McElroy and Hudson.

                “Why meet there then?” McClane asked. I understood why Donavon wanted to meet there. There would be no trade. Penny wouldn’t be able to walk away and Kate would be walking into a trap. He wanted her to meet them there because he needed a place to dump the bodies. What better place than the ruins of burned buildings?

                “Let’s just say his intentions aren’t honorable and if we don’t hurry both Penny and Kate are fucked.”