Chapter 35: MTD

McClane’s POV:

I have to say despite the fact I don’t really Dover I actually like Dover. He’s fun and smart and I can see why Sean likes him. We were heading out of the bar and I was leaning on him because quite frankly if I didn’t I would have fallen to the ground.  Here I was thinking I could drink him under the table and he was still fucking sober.

                “It pays to have older brothers.” He said after I asked him why he wasn’t drunk. Due to my inability to walk a straight line Dover offered to drive us back to my house. It felt good to hang out with someone and have a good time.

                “I have to say you aren’t the douche I thought you’d be.” I said leaning back into my seat.

                “Right back at ya.” He chuckled. We drove in silence once again but it wasn’t like before. It wasn’t awkward and strange. This time it was comfortable and mellow. I was glad Sean asked Dover to come and see me. If he hadn’t I would have went on hating him for no apparent reason. As we pulled into the drive I felt my phone vibrating my left butt cheek. Scooting forward I pulled it from my pocket and ran my fingers over the screen.

                “Hey Katie, what’s up?” I said into the phone’s mouth piece. There was sobbing on the other end. I mean heart wrenching, gut punching, somebody just kicked my puppy sobbing.

                “Kate, what’s wrong?” I asked a bit anxious now.

                “It’s Avery. We have a fucking problem.” He said his voice grim. Looking to Dover I climbed out the car holding onto the door so I wouldn’t fall.

                “Tell me.” I said. I stood there listening to Avery recount what happened all the while Dover stood at the hood of the car his face etched with worry.

                “You gotta get down here and fast.” Avery said when he finished.

                “Let me get some stuff together and I’m on my way.” I said hanging up my phone. Looking to Dover again I rubbed the bridge of my nose.

                “What is it?” He asked. Closing the door I quickly found my balance to stay on my feet and started for my front door.

                “I gotta head out. I’m sorry to cut our friendship fest short but something’s come up and Kate needs me.” I said being vague. I didn’t want to put all of Kate’s business out there. Yeah Dover and I were getting along fine but he wasn’t a part of the fray just yet.

                “What is it?” He asked again. Turning back to him I saw the way he set his jaw. He wasn’t going to back down.

                “I can’t tell you… it isn’t my place to tell you.” I said opening my door. Nodding Dover looked back to his car then to me.

                “Fine… we’ll let someone else tell me but I’m not letting you drive off alone.” He said. I was about to argue when Dover turned and went to his car.

                “Before you say anything listen to me. You aren’t sober to back down your driveway let alone drive anywhere else. Two, Sean asked me to come here and I’m not gonna let you disappear mysteriously without telling me why and since you won’t tell me you’re stuck with me. Lastly from the determined look on your face and the murderous gaze you had on the phone I take it shit is about to get real so I think it’s best to have a trained Marine with you when shit goes down. Wouldn’t you agree?” He said pulling the driver door open. I stood there about to make a rousing counter-argument when Dover rolled his eyes.