Seventeen

After the ceremony, my parents had a small gathering for me in honor of my graduation. It was mostly family but I took the liberty of inviting a few friends. Those friends being Alex (obviously), Austin, Lauren, Chloe, Aby, Samantha, Jason, and Michael. Austin took the liberty of bringing Lucy over but that was fine. She was really nice once you started talking to her. We really didn't do much besides sit and talk about our futures with my family. It wasn't something I was completely interested in but after they got done bombarding us with questions we went to find something else to do. We ended up playing basketball which I got tired of after twenty minutes so I sat on the front porch to watch. Not too long after Alex came by my side.

"You okay?" He asked me.

"Yeah I'm fine," I replied. "I'm not an athletic person remember?"

"Yeah I remember," he chuckled. "Listen I uh have something important to tell you. It's about us and it's really been bugging me for a while."

"What is it?" I asked.

"Cheryl I-"

"Alex!" Michael shouted, interrupting us from our conversation. "Come on man we need another player!"

"Talk to me about it later?" I suggested.

"Yeah we definitely need to talk about this," he replied and left after kissing me sweetly. I wonder what that was all about.

•••

After they had finished playing basketball, Alex came back to me but he didn't seem like he was going to tell me what he was going to say earlier anytime soon so I didn't pressure him into telling me. Although the curiosity was killing me. What is it that he has to tell me so badly? Why couldn't he just say it before going to play? Is it something big? Something bad maybe? I highly doubt it could be that bad but he seemed a little tense now that I think about it. Whatever it was, it had been bugging me until everybody left and I was left picking up trash from my backyard with Alex. I felt like I should ask him but that'd be pressuring him into it so I just chose to try ignoring it.

When we had finished clearing up the mess in the house and made sure there was nothing left for us to do, I had Alex come with me to my room. Now was the time to get the confession out of him. Or at least try to. He followed me into my room where I sat on my bed with my legs crossed and for a second I stared out at the street from my window. I was just trying to muster up the words I would use. Alex also sat on my bed next to me, probably waiting for me to speak up.

"Alex what were you going to tell me earlier today?" I blurted. Ok maybe it was a bit sudden but it wasn't pushy so I guess that was fine.

"When?" he confusedly asked.

"You know... when everybody was playing basketball and you said you had something important to tell me about us... what was it?"

"Oh," he suddenly remembered. "Yeah I don't think I want to..."

"You don't want to tell me anymore?" I cut him off.

"Sorry."

"It's fine, I was just curious to know."

He hugged me from the side and placed his chin on my shoulder, giving me a small kiss on the cheek. We sat there in silence staring at the street together.

"Alex do you think we could go on a vacation together? Just the two of us?" I asked randomly. I really wanted to go somewhere with him, anywhere really. I just wanted to spend some alone time with him before I left in the following two months.

"Why not?" he agreed. "Where to?"

"I don't know... Hawaii maybe? Or somewhere like that?"

"I think Hawaii sounds great," he smiled. "We could go the first week of July or you know, on the weekend of my birthday. How does that sound?"

"I like it," I replied and turned to face him. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he placed his hands on my waist. I loved having these cute coupley moments with him. They were nice.

"Can I kiss you?" Alex asked.

"Of course," I replied and leaned in to place my lips on his ever so gently. Our lips fit together so perfectly. As cliche as it may sound, it's as if they were made for one another. Every time I kissed him I felt like I was on top of the world because his kisses were great and maybe... just maybe I was starting love him a little bit. More than as a close friend or whatever. I think I was actually falling in love with him. I don't want to tell him just yet though, it could freak him out. He pulled away and placed his forehead on mine.

"You're so perfect," he whispered.

"Thanks," I replied as a blush made its way to my face. He never said I was perfect before so this was a pretty big deal.

"How was I fortunate enough to find you?" He asked. "You're beautiful and you've got the greatest personality. You're smart and intelligent, to a certain extent of course."

I playfully slapped his chest as he chuckled to himself.

"I was kidding," he silently laughed. "But seriously you're everything a guy could ever ask for. You even have a hot body, what more could I want?"

"Thank you Alex. I never knew you saw me that way."

"Of course I did. Why else would I have stuck with you even after you rejected me so much?"

I laughed as I remembered how I used to call him self centered and constantly tell him to quit hitting on me. He thought I was perfect? Not as perfect as him who would go through so much to finally have me. I gave him a peck on the lips but Alex didn't let me pull away so easily. He placed his hand on the back of my head as we kissed, pulling me in closer until our chests were touching. Slowly he started leaning into me until I was flat on my back as he hovered over me and continued to kiss me passionately. It felt great but I stopped him once his hand started going up my shirt. I immediately pulled away and shook my head in disapproval.

"I'm sorry," he said softly without looking me in the eyes. I cupped his face in my hands, making him look at me in the eyes.

"It's okay," I smiled apologetically. "We just got caught up in the moment."

After I said that we both sat up, an awkward silence filling the room. I hated the awkwardness that was going on so I tried to speak up.

"So..." was all that I could say. Alex chuckled and looked at me then wrapped me up in his arms.

"Let's get out of here," he said. I agreed with him and we ended up going out for the rest of the day.