Chapter Four

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR SPOILERS AHEAD.

Read with caution.

2018

"What's the plan?" Sam asks, arms crossed and brow furrowed. He's watching Steve, like everyone else in the room.

Steve, with his own arms crossed, watches Wakanda from the window. "We fight. We fight until our nails bleed and our feet crumble. We fight until we can't see straight. We fight until Thanos is dead."

T'Challa moves to stand beside him. "And how do we do that?" he asks.

"Together," Steve says, turning to face his motley crew of Avengers. "We may have lost Tony. We may not have Thor. But we do have a plan." He points to Vision. "Shuri, you're sure you can get that out of his head."

Shuri smiles. "It will take some time, but I believe I can have it out before Thanos gets here."

Steve nods. "Take Bruce and Wanda with you. Dr. Banner might be able to help you get into the framework of Vision mind quicker. Wanda, destroy the damn rock as soon as they remove it." He turns to T'Challa as they exit the room. "We'll start to get ready. How-"

Wakanda rumbled with the Black Order's ships hitting the forcefield.

T'Challa and the Dora Milaje jumped into action. T'Challa and Okoye shouted commands as they swiftly exited the room.

Steve nods towards the exit. "Follow T'Challa. He'll tell you where to go." Natasha starts to guide Rhodey, Sam, and Bucky out the door. "Barnes stays with me," Steve warns. "We'll meet you guys out there in a moment."

Sam glances between the two, his I'm-concerned-as-both-a-friend-and-a-trained-counselor face.

Bucky shrugs as he joins Steve's side.

The super soldiers watch as their friends and comrades leave to prepare for battle. As the door shuts, Steve's shoulders fall and with that, Captain America is gone.

"You alright, doll?" Bucky asks softly, caressing Steve's bearded cheek with his metal hand.

Steve gives him a tight smile, eyes a little red. "I've got a feeling in my stomach, Buck."

Bucky cocks an eyebrow. "A feeling?"

"This... It feels like the train, Buck," Steve whispers, holding Bucky's hand to his cheek.

"The train?" Bucky moves a little closer. "Steve, baby, I'm right here. Ain't goin' nowhere."

Steve shakes his head. "I had this feeling when we were ziplining that you should have stayed home. I couldn't shake it while we were fighting and then-," Steve squeezes his eyes shut.

Bucky pulls Steve into a hug, lips pressed against the man's temple. "I'm a hell of a lot more trained than I was back then, Stevie. I'll be okay."

Steve holds him tight. "I can't lose you again, Bucky. It'd tear me in half."

"You ain't gettin' rid of me, Steve. Not till we're old and gray and wrinkled as all get out," Bucky whispers.

"You promise?" Steve asks, voice breaking.

"On my Ma's grave."

Steve pulls away, glaring. "Don't do that. I don't like that."

Bucky shrugs. "You gonna kiss me before we head out or am I gonna have to fight without a good luck kiss?"

Steve's hands run along Bucky's kevlar covered back and up to Bucky's neck, fingers running through the silky strands of his hair. He brings their lips together into a soft, simple kiss.