Chapter Three

2018

Steve pulls his coat tighter. He's shaking from the brisk breeze, it's subtle but it's got Bucky staring him down.

"Cold there, Capsicle?" Tony asks.

"Little bit," Steve mumbles. He slaps a hand on Bucky's chest as the former assassin starts to lean towards the genius. "Cool it, Buck," he whispers.

Bucky glares at Tony, crossing his arms as he settles beside Steve again.

Sam rolls his eyes at them.

Somehow, Tony convinced the three of them to go out with him and the other Avengers. Steve would only agree if Tony let them go undercover and have a lowkey night, which meant taking public transportation and wearing disguises.

"We're meeting Nat and the others at the club right?" Sam asks, moving to walk beside Tony.

Steve and Bucky fall back a little, walking in perfect harmony with their shoulders brushing. "One of these days, I'm punching him," Bucky grumbles.

"Relax, Buck. He's just teasing me." Steve smiles at him from under his ball cap.

Bucky glares at him, eyes a piercing blue in the shadows of his face. "Still. He should know by now that you don't do the cold." He adjusts his own jacket with a frown. "If it weren't for this damned metal arm, I'd give you mine, doll."

Steve nudges his shoulder. "Hey, it's okay," he whispers, a blush forming on his cheeks. "I know you'd anything for me. Know why?"

"Why?"

Steve takes a quick glance around, making sure there's no one around. Tony's focus is ahead of them. He leans in close, lips brushing against Bucky's ear. "'Cause you're my best guy and you always make sure I'm taking care of," he says.

Bucky chuckles. "Damn right I do," he says. Bucky grabs Steve's cheek before he can pull away and plants a quiet, soft kiss on his puckered lips. He lets him go, grinning like a cat.

The blond licks at his lips, head ducked down to his chest and smile wide.

They turn the corner. It's a little busier, so the two take a step away with a tight smile.

Tony turns around, walking backwards. "So, do I need to work my magic and get you both dates or can you soldiers muster up the courage to do it yourself?"

"We know how to attract a dame, Stark," Bucky drawls, accent heavy.

Tony scowls, pointing a finger at Bucky. "First off, might not want to call them dames. Second, I never said attract. You're two super soldiers designed to be the perfect specimen of our species. Genetics has you taken care of. I meant, can you actually flirt with a girl without offending her with your prehistoric lines and vocabulary?"

Bucky raises an eyebrow and looks to Steve. "What's wrong with the word dame?"

Steve shakes his head. "It's outdated and probably offensive."

"Huh," Bucky mumbles.

"But yes, Tony," Steve says, "we can handle ourselves."

Tony nods. "Good. I don't need you two distracting me and Pepper," he says with a cocky smile. He trips, foot catching on a lip in the sidewalk, and flails his arms.

Sam catches him effortlessly. "You're not even drunk yet, Stark."

Tony brushes off his shoulders and turns back around. "That's the problem. I'm completely sober."

Steve rolls his eyes.

They turn another corner. There's a couple of bars at the opposite corner. One dawns a huge pride flag, with men and women alike mingling out front. The other is a more subdued bar and, from the looks of it, meant to be a sports bar.