Chapter One

Chapter One

2014

They landed in Paris, a few miles from the base they were set to take down in a few days. Sam and Steve hauled their luggage off of the quinjet and into the cab waiting for them. "I still can't believe you gave us three extra days of nothing before we infiltrate the base," Sam grumbled.

"Look, I miscalculated how quickly we'd arrive. Besides, we're in Paris! We've got plenty of time to get to the safe house and set up camp with extra time to visit for a bit," Steve reasoned.

Sam cut his eyes at Steve. "And where do you have us staying?"

Steve blushed. "Rennes."

"How far is Rennes from Paris?"

"By train? Two hours. Three, if we drive," Steve mumbled. Sam glared at him. Steve laughed, "Brittany is still beautiful! It's not Paris, but it's still a great place. Trust me."

Sam crossed his arms. "Next time, I book the trip."

They made it to the train station and found their way to their hotel in Rennes. The two of them wandered around the city, doing their best to enjoy the time they could before they had to leave for work later on in the week.

"Tomorrow, I have to do something but I'll meet you in Paris," Steve said as they were getting ready for bed.

"Fuck that," Sam called from the bathroom. "We're partners, which means we work together. So you're stuck with me until we get back to the States." He turned the corner and pointed a toothbrush at Steve. "Understood?"

Steve laughed. "Got it."

The next day, Steve ordered Sam to get ready in light gear for a simple hiking trip. "Hiking? Aren't there other means of travel to get to your destination?"

"I don't know where it is," Steve admitted as they walked out the door.

"Oh great. So we're just going to walk around until we find it?"

"Yup."

They set off for Steve's destination, Sam teasing him about not asking for directions or how confident he seemed in his ability to find this secret destination. It wasn't until Steve started to move quicker, almost desperate.

"Steve?"

"Yeah?"

"Where the hell are you taking me?"

Steve ducked his head, blushing. "It's nothing."

Sam paused, studying Steve's movements. He decided against questioning him, instead of letting the captain guide him to their destination.

Twenty minutes later, a small village appeared in the distance. Steve took a deep breath and sprinted onwards. He was so close, so fucking close. He heard Sam following after him, the man's footsteps heavy as he tried to keep up with Steve.

Steve didn't stop until he reached the abandoned village.

"Steve, what is this place?" Sam asked quietly.

The blond walked through the empty roads, looking at the vacant storefronts and the houses here and there that once held families. "This is one of the villages the Nazis ransacked. The Commandos and I passed through here about a month before," he cleared his throat but didn't continue.

Sam's eyes widened, regarding the abandoned town with awe. He didn't dare say a word in case Steve needed silence to process and relish in the memories.

They walked down the street, stopping only when they reached a demolished lot. Sam peered into the lot, picking out pews and crosses with his eyes. Steve stood, face stone clear of any emotion, before what was once a church. "The Nazis had control of the area and some of the homes were already destroyed. It didn't stop the village, though. They kept thriving, going about their days with a fearless drive to keep things as normal as possible for the children."