Chapter Four

A/N: Okay... So the timeline is a little off. Black Panther is technically in 2018, I believe, but this is set in 2017. However, I wanted this chapter to be the big shift from MCU canon. Before this, things could have been canon since we don't know much on what's happened with Steve and Bucky. Now, there's no turning back. No Infinity War, no Thanos, nothing. Which is also why I'm posting this today. I'm going to see the Avengers tonight and I didn't want anything clouding this chapter since it could have gone another way. This is more like my own FU to the MCU right now, cause if something happens (I refuse to say it aloud - read: in text) then I want us all to enjoy this. So yeah, enjoy!!

Edit 5/28/2019: This is a partial lie. I didn't really shift from the MCU as much as I had planned. There's still and Infinity War sequence, but it's not the same timeline.

2017

Plans had changed when Steve got called on a mission the day he was supposed to get Bucky. Instead, Steve was going to pick Bucky up at the airport.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Sam asks as they pull into the parking lot.

"He's landing in a private lot and I'm meeting him there. Bucky was ready to leave Wakanda and I couldn't go and get him, so he decided to come here. Couldn't convince him otherwise," Steve explains.

Sam sighs. "Just... remember he's still recovering. He's going to go from being in a pretty closed off safe space to New York. Go at his pace, not yours."

Steve smiles. "I'll keep that in mind."

"And don't do anything too romantic," he says as he pulls up to the drop-off/pick-up.

The captain blushes and scrambles out of the car. Steve adjusts his ball cap and heads into the airport, head tucked down and shoulders hunched. In a matter of minutes, everything Steve and Bucky faced would be worth it because they'd be together again.

No more war.

No more Hydra.

No more illnesses.

No more hiding.

Just.... them.

Steve picks up the pace, hurrying through security and going down the employee only entrances towards the gate. A variety of employees guide him, each one struggling to keep up with him. He just needs to get there, to get to Bucky.

The gate was closed off from the other flyers and filled with security guards and officials. Steve's fists clench. Bucky doesn't want to hurt people, why do they still insist on using excessive forces?

A Wakanda jet lands outside, the wing peeking through the window. Steve fidgets in the middle of the room, not sure what to do. Does he wait here or does he greet him at the entrance? Does he hug him or just leave it to a handshake?

And then the door opens and two members of the Dora Milaje walked in. They observe the room, tracking the perimeter before they settle on Steve who stood smack dab in the middle. They march in sequence, their feet padding against the tile and the fabric of their skirts swishing with their movements. "Captain," one of them starts, "are you sure you are ready to take this task on?"

Steve clenches his jaw. "By task I hope you mean taking my friend home. If that's the case, then yes I am."

The women analyze him for a moment before they quietly confer. They argue in their native tongue, glancing back to Steve every few seconds.

Just let me see him! Steve wants to cry out, but he knows he can't. One outburst and they'll send him back to Wakanda.

Why are they treating them like children?