Chapter Two

2016

Steve was guided into the special courtroom in London by two burly security guards. The United Nations representatives watched him with disdain as he walked across the platform to his assigned seat. Most of the Avengers were in attendance, Tony and his side were seated in the back in plush chairs (except for T'Challa, who had his own seat among the representatives). Steve's side stood in the back of the room, arms in handcuffs and their legs attached to one another in thick, heavy chains. They were treated like criminals because of him.

He took his seat, face expressionless and cold. Someone started speaking, welcoming and thanking the representatives and the addressing the reporters. They were being broadcasted internationally: the trial of Captain America.

The announcer turned to Steve and in their stale, booming voice, asked, "Captain Steven Grant Rogers, are you aware of the charges against you?"

"Yes sir," he stated clearly.

"Very well. However, to remind everyone in attendance, the charges against Captain America and his team are as followed: several accounts of international terrorism, two charges of crime against humanity, and a tremendous amount of charges for destruction of government property. Each is explained in detail within the packets you all have received on your desks...."

Steve stared forward, not really listening to the words the announcer spoke. He didn't really hear them, only the rumble of his voice as he explained how things would go. An empty hollowness ached in his chest, one he was familiar with but had not paid attention to in the past few weeks. But here he was, stuck in makeshift courtroom where countries themselves were about to throw polite insults his way.

There wasn't much he could do, just yet. He knew he couldn't run forever, knew he needed something to ease the mind of the public. They needed to know the whole story and Steve was going to give them that, just like he tried with Tony. It wasn't his fault if no one listened, at least they had the opportunity to hear his side.

The first hour went by with each country pressings charges against him announcing their reasonings, specifications, and what they believe should be done with him. Nearly everyone had something to say about him, some even were asked to sit down due to the vulgar tone they started to adopt in their words.

They go around and around, accusing him of various things and leading a so-called "gang" in criminal activity. It went on until T'Challa stood up, all regal and challenging. "Enough!" He glided down the stairs towards Steve. "This man," he motioned to Steve, "does not deserve this level of criminalization. You are not even letting him defend himself! How is that a fair trial, if you do not know both sides?"

Steve watched the room as hush murmurs fell over the crowd. No one would meet his eyes except for Sam and T'Challa.

"Captain," T'Challa continued.

"Yes, your majesty?" Steve answered softly, in a way that showed his respect for the man standing before him rather than a weakness.

"Please tell us why you committed such crimes. Explain to us why you believe what you did was right."

Steve nodded and stood up, adjusting his formal Cap suit. "When the Sokovian Accords were first introduced to my colleagues and I, we were caught off guard. Here's the thick slab of paper we're expected to sign willingly, because it was for the greater good. I do not deny that the Accords were created with such intentions, but the way they were introduced had me on the defensive, I'll admit.

"We weren't given the opportunity to negotiate the terms-"

Someone jumped up, demanding, "There was nothing to negotiate, Captain. Therefore your argument is invalided."