Chapter Five

YOU GUYS!!! This chapter came so naturally and I've been waiting for it since we finished Our Beginning. That's why you guys are getting this now rather than later.

I'm so excited for you to read it!!

BTW those flashback scenes? They're from Our Beginning but changed to the first person (that's actually why I wrote Our Beginning in the first place but thats not the point).

See you at the end.

2017

"Why the hell did you two wait so long to visit?" Daisy asks as they sat around the table.

Steve blushes. "Wanted to let Bucky get adjusted before we brought too many people around."

Bucky's beaming, even if Steve just admitted to being overly protective of Bucky during his transition back to society.

Daisy pats her brother's metal hand without batting an eye. "Well, it's good to have you two back together. And at least you didn't wait as long as Steve did."

"I didn't know you were alive!"

"You tried to bail on me. I found you outside having an asthma attack, remember?"

Bucky's face shifts to concern. "Your asthma's back?"

Steve's cheeks were on fire. "No, it was an, um, anxiety attack."

"Do you get those often?"

"Not nearly as often as I used to."

Daisy reaches over to take Steve's hand. "All is well now. Let's say grace and eat, I need to take my meds before 6:30."

Steve laughs and nods. He takes Bucky's hand in his, squeezing gently. "I'll start," he says quietly as their heads bow. "Dear heavenly father," Steve guides them in prayer, something he only ever does with Daisy, with a sincerity and emotion he hasn't shown in quite some time.

"Amen," they announce in unison before Steve starts to dish out the food for Daisy.

Daisy looks to Bucky, eyes wide with wonder. "I never thought I'd get to see you again," she admits.

"Neither did I," Bucky says softly, eyes bleary with tears.

"I always knew you'd come back to Steve and I," she starts, "it's in your DNA. You always come back to family, even if you don't know."

"Daise," Bucky tries.

"No, James. Steve told me some of the stuff he found out about your past. After everything you've been through, the universe has you bound to us. You two broke off your rel-" she clears her throat, "friendship before you went off to war. And yet you came back together. Then you had to go falling off that damn train and you," she points to Steve, "just had to crash that plane, only for you both to survive and come together again." She sniffles, using her napkin to wipe beneath her eyes. "I always rooted for you two. Always wished we'd get to do this."

Bucky stands from his seat and kneels beside her, both thumbs wiping at her cheeks. "You're still that sweet, beautiful young girl I loved to see growing up." He kisses her head. Daisy breaks down again, clinging to her brother like a small child. "I'm not going anywhere, not anymore."

He looks to Steve over Daisy's shoulder, his watery eyes a sharp blue. "I promise," he tells them both, "I'm here for good."

~*~*~*~

The first night it happened, Steve was shocked. He'd just settled into bed, a little drunk from his stash of Asgardian liquor, when the door creeps open. Steve sits up a little, hair already a mess and his face drooping with exhaustion.