Chapter Three

2015

Steve sprinted out of the building, his feet nearly silent as he raced towards Sam. "Go for it!" He yelled, about one hundred feet away.

"Are you sure?" Sam called, finger hovering over the detonator.

"Would I have said it if I wasn't?" Steve hollered.

Sam rolled his eyes, but pressed the button nonetheless. Seconds later, the old warehouse burst in flames, the structure caving in on itself. Steve grabbed Sam and the two ducked behind the S.H.I.E.L.D van. "That was awesome," Sam laughed.

Steve chuckled. "Have you never blown something up?"

"Not a fucking building!"

"Good point."

The two peeked over the van, the warehouse now lite in flames. Shrapnel fell feet away from them, scraping against the asphalt. Ash and dust floated in the air, sprinkling down like snow. If it was any other building, Steve would have found it horrifying. This is no ordinary building, however, this is an old Hydra warehouse in the middle of the Austria.

"So who signed off on this again?" Sam asked.

Steve shrugged. "Not sure. All I know is that they seemed pretty convinced after my proposal."

"What did you say to them?"

"I simply convinced them that if the building stayed up, Hydra would eventually return. I suggested that we destroy the building and the equipment after you and I took all of their files out. Hence the burning warehouse." Steve motioned to the building, grinning from ear to ear.

Sam shook his head. "We're stuck here until it's extinguished, right?"

"Pretty much."

After a few more minutes, the two got bored watching the building collapse on itself. They packed away their things, changed into civilian clothes, and climbed into the van. "Did you book our flight for tonight or tomorrow?" Sam asked, pulling out a couple of sandwiches for the both of them.

Steve grabbed his and unwrapped it, taking a huge bite before he spoke, "Tomorrow night. We have to debrief with the Austrian Chancellor at noon. Figured we could enjoy Berlin for a bit before we flew out."

"I never would have thought you'd be the type of person who mixes work and pleasure."

"I'm not mixing them. We're working and then we enjoy ourselves. I'm not saying let's go get wasted while we watch this place burn down," Steve chuckled.

Sam shrugged. "Better than this."

"Got a point."

"How long do you think this will take?"

"Maybe two more hours?"

"Two hours?"

Steve shrugged, unwrapping another sandwich at this point. "Yeah, two hours isn't that bad."

"If it takes longer than two, you're going to owe me. Got it?" The captain threw a sloppy salute his way as he ate. Sam rolled his eyes, but settled in nonetheless. Which is a good thing, because two hours gradually became six. "Goddammit Rogers, I fucking hate you."

Steve threw his head back in laughter, tucking his hat back over his eyes. "I'm not an arsonist expert, Wilson. You're fault for trusting me."

Sam scoffed. "Oh, yes. I'm just not going to trust my boss, my captain, Captain fucking America, when he talks about his own fucking missions!"