Chapter Three

A/N: Thank you so much for your patience!! I'm finally getting back into the groove of this story and I'm hoping to have this part finished by September! Let's see how far I get, but you should start expecting more updates! This chapter didn't turn out the way I was hoping and it's really short compared to previous chapters, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless!

Chapter Three

2012

Things settled down a lot come the fall. Most of the Avengers were off doing their own thing, leaving Steve to his own measly routine. He'd wake up for a long morning run around Manhattan, then he'd come back to start practicing his boxing (his favorite of the whole routine), he'd grab something to eat in the common room and head back to the training rooms to practice with his shield and any Avenger who was still in the Tower at the moment. He'd eventually come back up to his floor, turn on his record player to drown out the silence, and tuck himself into a heap of blankets as he watched the news for the rest of the night.

That is until Thor comes around.

Steve connected with Thor better than any of the other Avengers. Sure, he had Natasha, but they were forced to cooperate. Thor, on the other hand, was just as an outcast as Steve himself was. Thor, while his visits are short and far apart, is still adapting to the society just like Steve is and that's something few could understand.

Which is why Steve was rushing to greet the Asgardian as soon as Jarvis announced the god's arrival.

"Thor!" Steve called as he burst through the doors on the roof.

"Captain!" Thor boomed, arms spread wide. "Tis good to see you again, my friend." He drew Steve into a big hug, lifting him off the ground a few feet before planting him back onto the roof. The Asgardian's laugh rumbled through his chest, making Steve's grin widen.

Once Steve's feet were back on the ground, the two men ventured into the Tower and down to Tony's penthouse suite, where the rest of the Avengers were waiting. "I bear gifts," Thor announced after a round of welcomes. With everyone settled into their respective seats, Thor digs into his bag and brings out an old, worn book. "I hope you'll find good use of this. It may help you find a solution or at least something to aid you in your search," he told Bruce kindly as he handed the book to the doctor. "I took the liberty of translating it for you, but please do not hesitate to come to me if there is an issue."

Bruce's eyes were wide as his fingers traced the edges of the Asgardian book. "Thank you," he said quietly, his voice sincere and genuine.

Thor grinned and turned to Natasha. He reached into his bag and pulled out an intricately designed dagger. "While I know the blade is not your weapon of choice, I have good faith that you will find use of this," he said as he presented the Asgardian blade to the Widow.

Natasha stood and wrapped her slender arms around his neck. "Thank you, Thor. It's beautiful." She kissed his cheek gently and accepted the dagger, running a gentle finger over the delicate design. Steve watched her with interest, noting how her eyes twinkled at the small Widow's symbol hidden on the handle.

Thor turned to Clint and pulled a quiver full of arrows out of his bag. "It is to my knowledge that an archer can never have enough arrows," Thor quipped. Clint laughed as he accepted the quill, slinging it over his shoulder and thanking Thor in the process. The Asgardian turned to Tony and procured a large bottle. "While you may prefer your measly Midgardian beverages, I think you will find that a sip of this will do just fine," Thor mentioned as he handed the bottle over.

"I know what we're doing tonight," Tony smirked.

Steve sat up as Thor addressed him and pulled out a large, Asgardian shield. "If we ever have the privilege of fighting together on Asgard, I would like for you to be prepared." Steve took the shield, designed to look like his but with the Asgardian aesthetic.