Midoria's Heart 19 - Be Strong, Believe

Hey guys... so, I'm reeeaaaalllllyyyyy sorry about how long its taken me to upload. I'm sure you are all back (or almost back) at school, so you either know how it is, suddenly getting crazy busy again, or you're about to find out =P either way, i've been really occupied for the past little while, and so while i'm sorry that it took so long, i really did have a good reason (its not like i was just being mean by leaving you hanging like that!)

But ah well. Either way, I'm uploading now! =D

Oh, and I know that I already used this song a couple chapters back, but do listen to it. It fits sooo well! and i didn't even do it on purpose lol! I was just writing and listening to music, and when I went back and re-read it, the song was like, perfectly timed and everything!! yepp. that's right. I'm just awesome like that ;)

So, without further ado, here is the next chapter!

Enjoy!!! ♥

_______________________________________

Chapter 19 - Be Strong, Believe

I watched in silent horror as the long deadly blade plunged deep into Daniel's chest. Adelle screamed and thrashed in my arms, but I couldn't let her go, partly because she would get herself killed and partly because I was frozen in shock. Finally she broke free and ran to his side, collapsing to the ground and sobbing. I broke out of my morbid reverie and tightened my hand on my sword. The Schatten turned his soulless gaze toward me, and I knew that I was to be his next victim. After watching Daniel fight him, I knew with out a doubt that I had no chance of beating him.

He smirked at me with a challenge in his eyes, and I took a deep breath. I wasn't ready for this, not by a mile, but what choice did I have? It was either this, or to let Addie and Lis fight him, and I couldn't do that. I had to protect Adelle. I turned my head slightly to look at her, crouching over Daniel, holding his head to her breast. Her hair covered her face like a golden-coloured veil; shimmering despite the lack of light in the clearing.

Slowly, she raised her head, her hair parting around her face to reveal tear-streaked eyes. She met my eyes and looked at me for a long moment, a look of sheer determination mirrored there. Slowly; almost excruciatingly so, she stood, tensing her muscles and spreading her legs apart, taking on a defensive yet strong stance in front of Daniel's body, but covering Lisimi and I as well. The Schatten turned his head to regard her, and her chin jerked up.

Suddenly, an explosion of pure, raw power overtook the clearing. An aura so bright it blinded me erupted from Adelle, shining as brightly as the hot summer sun. Everything was still absolutely still, impossibly quiet; and yet Adelle's hair was whipping around her head, and a sound almost like war drums reached my ears, starting low but getting louder with every passing second. I could feel her aura spread and grow, both in direction and in strength. Gods above, she was powerful. And beautiful.

The Schatten was faltering, backing away from her and shielding his eyes. She hadn't even raised a hand to attack yet, but I wasn't entirely sure that she would. I think the point of her display was simply to show him what she was capable of, and now that he was aware, he was fast retreating.

But still her power grew; I hadn't seen anything like this in my life... well, except for maybe when Lord Miles, her grandfather had died. There truly was a wind now; a gale so strong it shook the trees to their roots. The ground was trembling beneath us, and it was raining so hard that it was almost hailing. Lightning flashed across the sky, lighting it up with jagged bolts of dangerous electricity. The Schatten was long gone at this point, but Adelle still didn't stop her power.

Then she turned her head to look at me, and I understood immediately what the problem was. It wasn't that Adelle did not want to stop; she couldn't. Her power was immense, but she had let it grow too strong; she had lost control, and it was quickly taking over her. This in itself was as dangerous as the Schatten had been. Without the ability to control and direct her power, she could end up killing us herself, and then go on to destroy the countryside nearest us.