Midoria's Heart 17 - Something Worth Fighting For

So, It's like, pretty late here right now (almost midnight, although I will be up for several more hours to watch the meteor shower =D).  

But anyway. Thought I'd upload for you, especially since someone (you know who you are =P) has been bugging me to do it for a while now.  

So there. Are you happy now??!?!? Lol

ANYWAY. Here's the next part guys! Hopefully you like it!!  

Please don't forget to comment and vote if you do!!

Oh, by the way. The music on the side is a general song for the whole chapter. It's not timed or anything this time, but I still recommend listening to it. It gives you the sort of feeling of the chapter, and it's just a really good song in general.

_____________________________________________________

Chapter 17 - Something Worth Fighting For.

I woke up to another cool and crisp morning, and to my neck and back aching. It had been three days since we left the castle, and as far as I could tell, we weren't even halfway to the Temple yet. It just went to show how spoiled I had been my entire life that I couldn't even spend three days sleeping on the hard ground. Every morning I woke up sore, and then we spent a full day riding, only stopping for short periods to eat. I had made a silent vow to myself that I would not voice my complaints; the boys had enough to worry about keeping us safe, they didn't need to worry about my inability to sleep on the ground as well.

We avoided the nearby towns, as we were trying to draw as little attention as possible. It would not be long before our enemy - whoever that was - heard that the Crown Princess had left the safety of the castle. This journey was dangerous enough without us being attacked. And we were all certain that if knowledge of our quest reached the eyes and ears of the Darkness, an attack would quickly follow. It seemed that someone was trying to do away with the royal family - first my parents, and then... and then my grandfather. That left me in a position of great danger, and for once Jay and Daniel could agree on something: they weren't going to take any chances with my safety.

So we traveled by day, as far and as fast as our horses could handle, skirting all of the towns and villages we came across. Yesterday Lisimi had ridden ahead to a town and bought some more food before meeting up with us again. It was safest for her to do so as she was much less noticeable, and the fresh fruit that she had returned with had done us all some good.

Rolling over to face the morning sky, I tried to remember last night's dream. It had not been like those before it; there was no spirit to guide me, and no Darkness to frighten me. The edges were fuzzy, as though someone had covered the vision of my memory with a sheet, until everything that I remembered turned out blurry and confusing. However, I knew that the Tower Room had been present, and possibly the old Temple as well. The clearest part of the dream had been the emotion of lost love, an aching grief and the burdened feeling of guilt. I knew that feeling well, probably better than anyone.

I shook off the melancholy thoughts and sat up, noting Jay and Daniel both sitting around the small fire we kept burning through the night for warmth. They were facing opposite directions, presumably keeping guard for enemies, but they were tense, their auras ripe with irritation and bridling anger. They must have had another disagreement while I was sleeping, but I let it be. They had been remarkably good so far at being civil with each other, and were almost becoming friends, save for the occasional outburst that they both tried (unsuccessfully) to hide from me. Still, if I interfered they were only likely to start at it again, and that was the last thing we needed. They had to find a way to work out their silly dislike of each other for themselves.