Midoria's Heart 6 - Nightmare and Morning

Okay, I decided to upload early to save you all your grief over everbody dying...

With this chapter, there are a couple of songs that I recommend you listen to. To start of with, "Here is a Heart" by Jenny Owen Youngs, then change it to Fly by Ludovico Einaudi (thanks Canse12 for the song suggestion there) when you get to the scene changed, marked by this: ~♥~ in case you are confused. There's another one later on, but i've put an author's note around it, because its a bit confusing :P

anyway, enjoy

~♥~  

_____________________________________________________________

Chapter 6: Nightmare and Morning

I opened my eyes suddenly, waking with a start. That was without a doubt the most terrifying nightmare that I had ever had, including the ones about my parent's death. It just seemed so... real.

You know how most of the time, when you have a nightmare, you know that you are dreaming, and you tell yourself "Okay, you can wake up now." Either you do or you don't, but the point is that you know that you are dreaming. That dream, though. It was real, I swear. I could FEEL the darkness surrounding me, FEEL the evil... it was horrifying.

I turned my head, and looked for the comforting presence of Evreth. She was lying a few feet from the side of my bed, in the morning sunlight that was pouring through the windows. Her beautiful blue-silver eyes looked back at me with a knowing, patient look.

I had no idea how long Evreth had been alive. It wasn't right to call her a pet - that would be insulting. I know that I had gotten her from my grandmother, who had received her in turn from her own mother. Evreth seemed to have been in the family since Midoria's time. She looked so much like a Maltese tiger with her gray-blue striped fur, but I knew that wasn't what she was. She was special - magical - and like the castle she had hidden secrets. I was fine with that, though. She was as loyal as it gets, and her wisdom had helped me on countless occasions. She was one of my best friends.

"Was it bad?" her voice sounded in my mind, referring to my dream. Of course she would have noticed.

"You have no idea. I don't want to talk about it." I replied, shivering.

She nodded, and looked out the window.

"Do not let your fears control you, Adelle. They will consume you, and turn you into something twisted if you keep them bottled up. Let them leave your mind in peace, and focus on the here and now. Remember, the only thing in this world there is to truly fear is fear itself. Look at the sunrise this morning. It is a beautiful day. You should go out and enjoy it."

I smiled, her words already having soothed me, and looked out the window. It was a beautiful day; she was right about that as well. It had been too long since I had flown.

~♥~

Flying.

There was nothing like it, no way to possibly describe the freedom that I felt.