6

Briley's POV

I woke up on my couch to the sound of my phone ringing. After groaning I looked to see that it was my mom. This is the first time she's called since I left so I guess I should answer it at least.

"Hello." I mumbled into the phone pressing it to my ear.

"Hi Honey." she sang happily "How's California?"

"Hot and sunny." I chuckled turning onto my belly.

"Did you find whatever it is you were looking for out there yet?" she asked.

"I think I might have actually." I sighed thinking about Wes.

"Oh my god!" She gasped. "What's his name?"

"Who?" I played dumb.

"That was a boy sigh Briley. I know you baby girl. Now what's his name?" She laughed.

"His names Wes." I practically swooned.

"Well I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but what about Seth?" Mom asked.

My heart dropped at the mention of his name. Seth and I had known each other since we were about ten years old. We dated for four years an sure I loved him, but I just don't think I'm in love with him. Something with him was always off to me. "I don't know what you want to hear Mom." I sighed.

"Honey he really misses you. He calls every single day and he's stopped by the bakery twice. I still don't know why you won't tell him where you are." she said.

"I don't want him to follow me. I just need some time to figure out who I wanna be." I explained.

"Well I like the person you are." Mom said happily.

"I do to sometimes." I shrugged. "I gotta go Momma. Wes is coming over later and I wanna actually make dinner."

"Well don't burn it Briley. I love you no matter who you are." she said sweetly.

"I love you too Mom." I teared up as I ended the call. After my father left us it was me and Mom against the world. I tried to be her rock through everything. Mom and I were very close so I miss her a ton. I just know I can't be who I want back home. Seth is great but he's a hometown boy, and I'm not sure that I wanna be a hometown girl.

Wes's POV

It was five after six and I was officially late for my date with Briley. I hope she isn't the kind of girl who freaks out super easy. I had a blast with her yesterday at the beach and when I asked her to hangout again today she offered to make dinner. She's fun and super sweet, but I can't help but feel like I'm still waiting on the other shoe to drop. Briley's just too perfect for me and that's never happened before.

I parked my car in her lot and hurried up to 32B. After I pounded on the door twice she pulled it open and sighed. She had on sexy black heels and a dressy outfit that'd look better on the floor.

"You're late." she told me simply tearing my thoughts back to something more appropriate.

"I know and I'm sorry, but I ran into an old friend at the gas station. I just lost track of time." I explained.

She looked down at her shoes. "I thought you might've found something better to do tonight."

"Better than having dinner with a sexy girl I met on the 101? I don't think so babe." I winked making her cheeks turn pink matching her top. "Now what's for dinner?"

"Teriyaki Chicken with white rice and steamed vegetables." she said stepping aside and letting me inside.

The table was set with candles and a white cloth. The food smelled amazing. She'd really outdone herself. I felt bad for being late and I hope I can make it up to her.

"This looks amazing Briley." I turned and she smiled.

"Thanks Wes, I just hope it tastes as amazing as it looks." She said.

It was better than it looked. After dinner I leaned back in my chair and watched as Briley cleared plates. I'd offered to help but she wouldn't let me. I stood up and looked at a few pictures she had hung up. A few of her and what I assume is her mom, and one of her and a guy. A brother maybe?

"Hey Bry?" I yelled into the kitchen.

"Huh?" she asked coming back I to the room.

"Who's this?" I asked holding up the frame.

"Me and Seth." She shrugged then took the frame from me looking down at the photo.

"Brother?" I asked.

She shook her head. "Ex boyfriend."

"Oh." I can't believe she had an ex boyfriend and kept pictures around. Most girls would burn that shit, unless she still cares about him. "How long have you been broke up?"

"Since graduation." she sat the frame down. "Do you want cheesecake?" she asked changing the subject as she looked back up at me.

"I had my eyes on something else that's sweet." I winked.

She laughed. "Are you always this charming?"

"Charming? You mean cheesy?" I laughed with her. "No I'm not."

"Well I like it." she smiled draping her arms around my shoulders. Her lips had almost met mine when her phone rang. She sighed and pulled away. "Hold that thought."