Chapter 12

❖Anna❖

I'm standing in front of the main building of my college. Kaylee wanted to come with me to the library because we weren't able to do much together lately.
I got my headphones in and am softly humming along to my music.

The sun is shining and it's pretty warm for this time of the year, so I've decided that it wasn't a bad idea to sit on the steps in front of the building.
It's sort of relaxing and I've always liked 'people watching'. When I was little I used to do it a lot with my mom and then we would make up stories about the people we saw. Things where so much easier back then.

Kaylee comes out of the building she was in and walks towards me. I stand up and put my headphones away.
"Hello sunshine." she says to me with a big smile on her face. "Hey smiley." I say back with a wink. "Ready to go?" she nods and while linking arms, we start to make our way to the library.

"A job in the library." Kaylee says when we walk through the doors of the library. "That must be very, uhm." "Boring?" I finish het sentence with a smile. "I was going to say quiet, but boring is a better description of it indeed." I laugh and explain her that it really isn't that bad.
"Well it would be nothing for me. I'm only here to catch up with you because you never have time to do something fun with me."
"Sorry." I say while I pick up a pile of returned books and put them back where they belong.
"You don't have to say sorry. I know you got your work. that is why I came up with this brilliant selection. I'll just come here and annoy you while you are working!"
Kaylee hops around following me wherever I go and she talks about everything and nothing. The only time that she quiets down is when she has to breath.

"You know, you are lucky that miss Lowerlands isn't here yet. She would have thrown you out a long time ago." I say in one of the few breath pauses Kaylee takes.
"How come?" she asks, completely forgetting what she was talking about when I interrupted her.
"Because of all the noise you are making. This is still a library." I laugh at the shocked face Kaylee gets.

"Miss Wards, how dare you say something like that about me? The one who has been so kind to you for coming here with you to this absolutely boring place? The one who is making your work so much more fun? And this is what I get as a thank you? I am very disappointed." Kaylee puts a hand on her forehead, kicks a foot out and looks away dramatically.
I can't help it, looking at her, acting like this, makes me laugh and it doesn't take long before I'm full on laughing.
Kaylee begins to giggle as well and very quickly, we're both rolling around from laughter.

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

When we finally stopped laughing, Kaylee decided to help me with organising the books. That way I was done faster and since miss Lowerlands was in a good mood, I was allowed to go home earlier.

"Let's go get some coffee!" Kaylee says while she drags me behind her. "It's my treat, as an apology for keeping you from your work."
"Kaylee, thanks to you I'm done an hour earlier then I normally am."
"I do not want to hear a no!" She says. Laughing softly I follow her to the Starbucks on the other end of the road.
Kaylee doesn't stop talking for the whole time that we are there. It's funny that she has so much to talk about, even though we see each other almost every day at college.

"You know," Kaylee suddenly says, "you've changed since the last time we've did something like this." She takes a sip from her coffee and frowns, thinking. "I mean, I know we don't do things like this much, but I've noticed it in school as well."
I put down my mock and look at her. "What do you mean by changed? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"
Kaylee smiles at me. "It's a good thing A. You seem more relaxed, more.... happy then you've been before.

It surprised me that she noticed my change in mood.
After what happened between Gabriel and me, things did change between us. He started walking me home again and I felt safe when he was around.
I haven't heard anything from my dad either. After the last letter it got quite. I'm not completely sure if that is a good or a bad thing, but I like to think that he finally gave up and will leave me be. Even if it is just for now, at least I can live my own life for a while.