Chapter 10.

Two Years ago

(Paris' Point of View)

Waking up, I have to squint to see the time on the clock. "Twelve thirty? Fuck." I groan rolling from my side to my back and know instantly that I'm in Alex's bed. My hand reaches for him, but the cool sheets tell me he's not there. I turn to his side and bury my face in the pillow, pressing in deep, robbing myself of oxygen and welcoming the ache in my lungs.

I had sex with Alex.

I slept with Alex.

Alex had sex with me.

Alex slept with me.

I turn my head and gasp for air, sucking the life-giving oxygen back into my lungs.

I sit up and slowly move over the side of the bed, as my body rejects the abuse I put it through the night before.

The heels of my hands dig into my eye sockets to rub away my sleepy haze.

Pushing up on my feet, I give my body a second to acclimate to being upright and my asshole twinges reminding me yet again what I've done last night. Shit! Fantasizing something and actually doing it feels so different. God it feels bizarre. Both good and scandalous at the same time.

"Ugghh" I rub my hands across my face, trying to sort out just how I'm supposed to feel.

Coffee. That's what I need.

Once I am able to focus, I notice a large box across the room. Curious, I cross the distance to see what it is and realize it's for me when I notice the note on top.

In a crouch, I pluck the note and my eyes homing on Alex slanted cursive.

Paris,

These are yours. I have saved them for some time. I would have given them to you
sooner, but I wasn't sure how- without being accused of stealing them or trying to seduce
you or whatever insane idea you would have come up with to paint my intentions
horribly. I did the best I could to take care of them for you.
Open it, they are yours - Alex

Hesitating, I take in a single deep breath and tear open the box. I gasp almost knocking my heart out of my chest as I see what is inside the box.

My Dixie and My books!

He saved them.

My entire midsection reaches critical-point spasm.

Reaching inside the box, my fingers tremble as I pull out Dixie and stare at it's one eyed furry face. My face crumbles in a reminiscent smile, eyes glazing over.

I hug the tattered and ugly teddy to my chest, bury my nose inhaling deeply. I don't smell my mom only shattered desolation and loneliness.

A wave of such sadness sweeps over me that I sit back on my hunches and breathe slowly.

I put Dixie aside on the floor and bring out the books, one after the other, reading the notes Cindy had written in them for me.

When I get to the last book, I have trouble recalling ever having this one. I pick it up, reading the French title and slowly open it to read the simple note left inside.

I thought this one seemed like something you might like—Alex.

Sitting on the floor, legs crossed, I read the first few pages of the old French novel and a smile stretches a side of my cheek. My heart pitter-patters around my rib cage. Air rushes through my nose. I know this feeling...excitement.