Chapter 7

Lisa's POV

The van pulls up to the Cimorelli house and we all get out. I tell the others that Bella and I are going to go for a walk, that I'm going to show her the neighbourhood. No one questions it thankfully.

Bella walks quietly next to me until we reach the beach and sit down in the soft brown sand. I look at her.

"So what's going on? Who gave you that bruise?" I ask.

"Sh-she's a good person I swear," Bella says, "Just sometimes her anger gets the best of her..."

Gosh, she's trembling. I give her a nice tight hug and then release, looking at her again.

"Who is 'she'?"

Bella looks down and I can tell she's holding back tears. I hate whoever did this to her.

"My mom," she whispers as tears start to fall.

I can't stand this, what type of mom would hurt their kid?! I think of my mom, who's so sweet and gentle and caring. God knows she'd never lay a hand on any one of us.

"I am so so sorry Bella. That's not right at all," I tell her as I pull her into a hug, "Does anyone else know?"

"Just my best friends back in Seattle but we don't talk much anymore anyways..."

My heart is breaking for her. I can't imagine how hard her life is. I've had my own struggles but something tells me she's even more broken than I was. That makes me even more determined to help her.

"Listen," I tell her, "You are not alone anymore. You're far from alone. I promise I'm always going to be here for you and so will my family."

Bella's POV

It was the hardest thing to tell Lisa. But I knew she wouldn't give up asking until she knew so I had to tell her.

She seems so sad for me. Then she tells me I'm not alone anymore. That's the one thing I needed to hear. But the words "I promise" gets to me. Memories come back and I stop crying and go numb.

"Stop. Don't say 'I promise'. All promises do is give me false hope. Don't do that to me. I can't handle anymore of that," I say kinda harshly.

She leans back and looks shocked and perhaps even sadder. I can tell she just wants to help but I have to push her away before she hurts me.

"I'm sorry Bella. I didn't mean to say the wrong thing. Just know you aren't alone in all this anymore."

"Please... just go away," I ask.

I see tears roll down her cheeks as she gets up and walks home.

I feel so guilty and horrible but I had to do it.

I get up and slowly walk home. My mom isn't home thankfully so I go up to my room and lay on my bed.

I realize what a huge mistake I have made. My only friends in California and I've already pushed them away. It's what I do best. I'm always messing stuff up.