Chapter 26

Katherine's POV

I'm not fully asleep when I hear Bella go out. I open my eyes and rub them then walk downstairs. Looking out the window, I see her sitting on the trampoline. I go out towards her and hear her crying. She has a far away look in her eyes.

"Bella," I say and touch her shoulder. It's like she wakes up and she sees me.

"Katherine," she whisper, trying to wipe away the tears.

"You looked out of it when I came out here, are you okay?" I ask concerned for her.

"I guess you'd call it a flashback. I was there... in her room," she starts crying again and I sit down next to her.

All day she's been putting on a brave face and staying strong. She said she just wants to move on but I know it's not that easy. Christina told me she's worried because Bella only cried imnediately after Meg's death but after that seemed fine. She said Bella fell asleep fine last night but that I know isn't true as I was texting her.

"I'm so sorry you had to watch that sweetie," I say, "I can't imagine how hard that was." She cries a bit harder and I hug her tight, she holds on even tighter.

"I already really miss her but it doesn't feel like she's really gone, you know?"

"I get it. It will take time," I say. She lets out a large yawn just then.

"You're real tired Belle, aren't you?" I ask.

"Well obviously. Don't tell Christina cause she'd flip but I didn't go to bed last night until after I watched the sunrise. Only got about 3 hours of sleep," she tells me.

"That is way too little sleep!" I exclaim.

"Yeah well tonight'll probably be the same but whatever..." she shrugs.

"No it won't be, I won't let it," I say getting up off the trampoline and taking her hand. She follows me back into the house.

"Your bed or mine?" I ask. I see her look at me.

"Mine," she says and I nod.

We walk upstairs super quietly and close the bedroom door behind us. Christina rolls over and we pause. She stays asleep though, thankfully. Bella climbs up onto her top bunk and I follow. She wraps herself in my arms and I smile.

It's weird in a way but after having her next to me for so many nights before, being without her makes it harder to sleep. Even though I'm comforting her, she comforts me too.

"Thanks Katherine," she whispers in my ear.

"You're welcome, sleep well," I say. She rolls over and I hear her breathing slow. Good, I'm glad she's finally going to get some sleep. Now it's time for me to sleep too.

I wake up to the smell of french toast and I instantly open my eyes. I look at my clock and it reads 8:56 am. I see my sister's eyes open too as they smell the delicious food. We all get up and walk out the bedroom door and meet all the rest of our siblings.

"Who's making french toast? I thought it was Katherine but you're right here," Dani asks.

We all run downstairs and into the kitchen. Seeing who's cooking makes us stop and stare.

"Bella!" Amy exclaims, "It smells so good in here, you woke us all up!"

Bella smiles at us all. "Sit down, I've got enough for each of you."

We all take a seat at the table and she serves up slices of french toast for each of us. I take a bite and it'a absolutely perfect. All you can hear is the sound of chewing.